rough draft project1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
kayla.pressburger

Re: rough draft project1

Post by kayla.pressburger »

The artwork you used is very cool! I'm most drawn to your second design, especially the desktop version. I really like the minimalism of it, and I think it would translate well into a mobile version.
Kayla Pressburger

kj923

Post by kj923 »

I’m a big fan of your art work in all your layouts!! a lot of your text is difficult to read, however. Maybe try using a text box on some or use a dark, bold font instead!
-Kaitlyn Johnson

clawson

Post by clawson »

All your designs are very creative, hard to pick a favorite.
Clara Lawson

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your "web-design-web-09-17-2018.jpg". I assume it's mobile design is "web-logo-09-17-2018.jpg" so that's what I'll critique for this.

I find the background art fascinating. It's a great piece of abstract art you can really play off of. It's got a good color scheme to build from and some neat lines both real and created from object interactions that you can play with in your layouts. I like the contrast in your design. The footer, top navigation and content to the right side create a pseudo-frame for the artwork. I especially like the footer. It's got good margins by and large and uses color well without spoiling the contrast. I like the typeface you've chosen for your computer design. It feels a little like a brushstroke, while still being legible. It's forms work well with the background art.

The biggest issue I see across all your designs is margins. On your computer design your bodycopy runs right to the edge of the black box behind it. Give it a little room to breathe on each edge either by shrinking the bodycopy or expanding the box. Add a little top and bottom margin to your home button too. I think it has a few too many colors, too. I'd create a palette based on a limited version of the colors that appear in the art in the background, maybe four or five colors. I'd also use the TMCC logo that does not have the green background. Make sure your lower buttons are more visible. Right now they blend into your art. I'd recommend darker or brighter colors to make them stand out like your black and red buttons at the top. On your mobile design, use the same black textbox and font for your bodycopy as you used on your computer design. Also keep that nice footer you used on your computer design. You want to make sure your computer and mobile designs share the same "design language".

A good start!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

themeg98

Post by themeg98 »

Jason, the first set of layouts work better to solve the assignment. The only thing I would change would be your type. The orange you used gets lost on the cool background you made. Fix that contrast issue and you should be good to go :)
Megan Horner
"Stay made of Lightning"

raton de biblioteca

Post by raton de biblioteca »

Hi Jason,

The cohesive look that each of the designs makes the collection look really good! I like the 1st mobile layout and the 3rd desktop layout. An improvement point to make is with the grammar used in the body copy, use the preposition "based in" rather than prepositions "based out of" because the meanings convey either your clients are out of the country or you are in Reno. I would also watch out for capitalizations of words, capitalize My at the beginning of the sentence and don't capitalize beautiful. It would be better to get rid of any ambiguity... unless that is what you want, it is your artistic choice. Maybe play with emphasizing breaking grammar rules with changing type? It could be more of an art piece than an info-graphic piece.

Best,

Rachel
Rachel Cao
We are all just having too much fun ;)

anayaestevan

Post by anayaestevan »

Hey Jason,

I like the second design the best. It's layout its working the best for me.

I feel like your design could be more focused. Maybe stick to just three or 4 colors instead of 5+? Font choice could be improved as well, maybe something a bit more expressive? Just an idea.
Estevan Anaya

veronica chapman

Post by veronica chapman »

I thought I had already commented on your post, but I can't find it anywhere so I will post again. I hope it's not redundant. I really like your background art. Very interesting. In your second design, I think you need to center your body copy a little better in your text boxes. In the last design I think your email icons are not placed well. You have a very recognizable style.

hiitsyuri24

Post by hiitsyuri24 »

Hi! I love your art and the colors. For last one, I am not sure why you have email icon in on the paragraph. I would change that.
Yuri Aoki

giusti56

Post by giusti56 »

Hey, I really like the artistic and abstract feel to both designs. They are unique and have a cool feel to them. I don't have much criticism though.
-Tony Giusti