Project 2 Preliminary Worky Works

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
kj923

Project 2 Preliminary Worky Works

Post by kj923 »

I chose http://electrifyingtimes.com/ this website to redesign because I felt redesigning a website for a magazine could be really fun and professional at the same time.

This site needs less ads and spam links. I feel scared even navigating the site I chose. Everything looks like it will give my computer a virus if I click on it.
Also, the site needs better theme consistency, organization, more usage of tabs to keep the home page clean and not overwhelmed with information.

Competitor websites could be https://www.hotrod.com/ or https://www.automobilemag.com/

These websites are almost just as bad as the one I chose to redesign. These competitor sites aren’t quite what I had in mind as far as style goes for a magazine’s website.

There’s definitely a lot of work that needs to be done, but I feel I have created a good starting point for myself, considering I don’t know anything about cars.

Enjoy!
Attachments
layout-3-4-prelim-work-72.png
layout-1-2-prelim-work-72.png
-Kaitlyn Johnson

Drakula

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Worky Works

Post by Drakula »

Wow, what a bad website! Your designs are great, both of them look very professional and establish the purpose of the site. I really like the home page of the first layout and the content page of the second design. Cool work.
Dana Drakulich-King

tweetysmurf2350

Post by tweetysmurf2350 »

I love the first layout set. It has an interesting dynamic and looks very professional. Very good job on making an eye gouging website look beautiful.
Terri J. Taber

"Happiness can be found in even the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

agostina_renau

Post by agostina_renau »

so hard to choose. I like the fun black font and I also like the image of the man with the helmet.
I wish you could combine them!! is this magazine about sports??
Agostina From Argentina

emilyduke

Post by emilyduke »

These are so good! I think all of them look great, but I like the home page of the bike man and the layout of the 1st bottom image (the one with 3 images), I think the images are cool, and the layout of that one is easy to follow!
Starfish ✩ emily duke

raton de biblioteca

Post by raton de biblioteca »

The red type against the black/white photo with the helmet is my favorite. This is because of the rugged/edgy slant and the side by side photo working together. And it has a nice tribute to the original page being right slanting, with the fun hover-factor over the electrifying logo! Cuz obviously red cars drive faster :)
Rachel Cao
We are all just having too much fun ;)

Jones

Post by Jones »

These are all great! I like the retro feel of the first design and the fast eye catching images of the second. The first design is something mo different that would set it apart from similar sites. Well done!

veronica chapman

Post by veronica chapman »

I love the images in your first design, but I think the second design is a bit more comprehensive. the body copy is much easier to read.

jason_hosier

Post by jason_hosier »

where did you find these images? really cool!
"Any law that cannot bend in a storm is destined to be broken."

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'm not sure if I'm seeing home pages or inner pages here so I will critique them like they're home pages.

I like your idea of replicating a magazine here, so I say take it one further. Make your "layout-2" the homepage of your website and "layout-1" the inner page. That full picture homepage with maybe a headline or two (take all but the most important bodycopy off) and the navigation will act like a magazine cover to draw people in, and the clean multi-column inner pages will look like the pages inside a magazine. Use the logo from "layout-1" as your logo (it's the best of your logos) and leave it and the navigation in the exact same place on every page, home and inner. That way they will function as your unifying elements across your site. Typographically, everything is working pretty well on your "layout-1" inner pages. The fonts seem to be playing nice and I think they'll work with the type from "layout-2". You'll have to see if that's the case when you combine them.

Make sure the edges of all of your elements line up to make nice, tight columns on your "layout-1" inner pages. For example, the left edge of your bodycopy should line up with your navigation on your computer layout and line up with you black magazine subscriptions box on your mobile layout. Also, try justifying your bodycopy to fill out your columns. Like I said that the beginning, I'm not sure if these are home pages or inner pages so one of those is missing.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173