Final project 1 critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
stars2night

Final project 1 critique

Post by stars2night »

I went with the purple design based on feedback that the other design was too busy. I kept the color scheme the same from last time. I removed most of the low opacity boxes from behind the text. I removed the Project 1 button based on what I saw others doing, and it made sense because this is project 1. I re-arranged the text around based on that change and played with it a bit more to try to improve prior designs. I also reduced the link section down to a couple of words for each link, instead of the link itself.

Links I used for research, a lot of which were looking at other people's "best designs" for 2018:
Ihttps://webflow.com/blog/19-web-design-trends-for-2018
https://www.bowencraggs.com/downloads/B ... e_2018.pdf
https://www.forbes.com/sites/denispinsk ... d9924ff54f
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/best ... signs-list
Attachments
mobile final
mobile final
computer final
computer final
- Katrina Allen (Alera)

lewlewland

Re: Final project 1 critique

Post by lewlewland »

I think these designs came out more easily readable and a bit more interesting than your originals, nice job!

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

Nice final layouts. The colors pop and everything is easy to find and read.
I think the overall spacing/layout of your web design is stronger than your mobile. My only suggestion would be that the layout of your project buttons in your mobile version are a little awkward and they might look better side by side instead of staggered. However, I think the staggered/stepping down effect could also look a little better if you moved both the project buttons to the right a tad so that there is more space between your project 1/name spot and the project 2 button.
Overall really nice job.
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

z1claudia

Post by z1claudia »

Hey, nice job on keeping your design simple and easy to read. The only critiques I would give is that for the mobile I wish the project 2 and project 3 were aligned instead of sliding to the right. Also that the "About me" header was closer to the paragraph. I think that would have unified it more. The web design is great. I just wish the links were smaller. To me I see the links as not as important and don't need to be noticed as much. So I'd prefer a smaller font and shoved more to the bottom of the page but that's just my personal choice. Great job.
Claudia Zamudio

John1612

Post by John1612 »

The way that was chosen is a good way to go. The computer design is solid, but the position of the type, in the mobile design seems to be floating in space. Other than that I really enjoy the color and the shapes you created they are visually interesting. I like how you overlapped the shapes and played with the opacity.

Charlie Johnson

erino

Post by erino »

The layout has improve towards composition of shapes and legible. Great job!
Only suggestion on mobile try to align project 2 and 3 the same.

JBobier

Post by JBobier »

Great choice Katrina! This design is a lot easier to read and it has nice balance to it. It is a bold purple but I like it. Good job!

Tickosity

Post by Tickosity »

I like the designs and the colors are nice and compliment each other well. The one thing that I noticed, and I'm not sure if it's your intention, is that the color difference of the project 1 and project 2 links brings the attention to them over other things.
Latham Furman

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh, interesting UI choice there, Katrina. You've retained a bit of your boxes from the preliminary critique, but you are using them as user signals now. Where they appear is navigation for users to click on, even down in your footer. Nice! The purple and mint colors are working well for you and the background continues to rock on in it's 80's JC Penny family photo kind of way. Your typeface choice is working really well too. Nice job using the different weights to establish hierarchy, and everything is just the perfect size.

I just have a couple of issues with it. One, I think you use one too many type colors and it gets a little chaotic in some places. Two, your margins are a little wide throughout the composition and it drifts apart and loses unity particularly in the gaps between your right and bottom navigation and your content.

Not bad!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Unicorn_Service

Post by Unicorn_Service »

I would like to offer the suggestiton of cutting yourself onto a trasparatn background in the picture. But still, the bold purple color is a dynamic design.