Project 3 Prelim

This is an archive subforum of the previous version of Project Three. This is for inspiration only. DO NOT POST YOUR PROJECT THREES HERE.
TheWalapus

Project 3 Prelim

Post by TheWalapus »

Hi everyone! These are my roughs for project 3. I chose to redesign the website for Desert Rock Sports, a locally run rock climbing store in Las Vegas. Here is the original site http://www.climbvegas.com/.
Attachments
grc_175_project2_desktop_rough_c2.jpg
grc_175_project2_desktop_rough_c22.jpg
grc_175_project2_desktop_rough_c1.jpg
grc_175_project2_desktop_rough_c12.jpg
grc_175_project_03_mobile_roughs_c2.jpg
grc_175_project_03_mobile_roughs_c22.jpg
grc_175_project_03_mobile_roughs_c1.jpg
grc_175_project_03_mobile_roughs_c12.jpg
- Ryan Vellinga

trixiapanda

Re: Project 3 Prelim

Post by trixiapanda »

Both concepts are stunning. The colors are working well, as well as the layout. I wouldn't mind which concept you decided to do! Excellent work!
♡ Trixia Benitez

Abused Oreo

Post by Abused Oreo »

I think you could go either way with your designs. Both are very nice and make me want to learn more. I do like the c1 rough just a little more. Having that beautiful landscape image take up the whole page will make it look really good! Plus your colors all work really well together. I think the margin in the other one looks nice but I don't think you need it. There isn't anything on these designs that I would change. Great work!
Taylor Von Stetina

katyroses

Post by katyroses »

Hi there,
I love both of your designs! I think my favorite is the second one. I love the colors and how well it mixes into the photo. Also, the font works very nicely together! The only thing I thought of is the mobile photos don't have the same warmness to them. Maybe add a orange filter/color to make it the same as the website?
Katelyn R. Brooke

Fear The Deer

Post by Fear The Deer »

Howdy! I think the layouts where you have the rock photography across the entire background are the most striking (especially c1 and c12)- they show off the natural bright color of the rocks, and I think the tan contrasts with it very well!
Jessica Laughead

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Oh these are nice. You've got two very good designs here, Ryan.

I slightly prefer your "c1"s. It's the transparency that was really the tie breaker here. I like that the content is off to the left on a pretty little tan transparent box. It's the perfect level of opacity to allow content to be read, while still showing off the background image underneath it. That's tricky to pull off. It lets the awesome home page image do most of the talking, but the critical content is these and easy to read. Speaking of images, you've got some just excellent pics through this whole thing. Great image selection. They're both illustrative of the terrain in and around Las Vegas and enticing. They make you want to go climb a rock in the desert. Your color selection is top notch too. You've taken colors from the rocks and landscapes in your pictures and incorporated them into your design. Nice use of typography. You use your serif type almost like a highlight to catch the eye, while your sans-serif type is easily read and conveys information well.

For your inner page design on your computer layout, I'd take a page from your mobile layout and put the page content on a semi-transparent red rounded rectangle over a larger background image. For the mobile home page, I'd steal the idea from your computer home page of having the content in a semi-transparent area over a picturesque background image. It looks better and would be more consistent, I think.

Great work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

cwalkerdesign

Post by cwalkerdesign »

Hello
I love your designs. I am leaning more towards the first one you have good contrast between the white background and the images.
Good job
Charmaine

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

Hey Ryan,

Nice work with your redesigns! You definitely make the site much cleaner in both versions.
In every version, I think you chose really awesome images to work with.

I think I prefer the style of your "grc_175_project2_desktop_rough_c2" layout. I like the way your nav buttons have been set up, and the colors/layout makes me think of a travel brochure. I do think both designs are really strong though.
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

Brandon_P

Post by Brandon_P »

Good job on both designs, I like the second design layout and you use an additional color and it has a better layout.
Brandon Plunkett

genesis_urena

Post by genesis_urena »

Hello! Honestly that website you have choose is so boring looking, jajaj. You made it look so great. Nice job. I love the lady on the "mobile_roughs_c2". Nice image and the type is flowing. It says and sells a lot. Nice color too.
GENESISURENA