Project 3 Prelim Critique~~~

This is an archive subforum of the previous version of Project Three. This is for inspiration only. DO NOT POST YOUR PROJECT THREES HERE.
Gr8K8

Project 3 Prelim Critique~~~

Post by Gr8K8 »

Hello classmates!
The website I picked to redesign is: https://www.andyslock.com/index.html

My goal was to make it much more visually interesting, while still being fairly straightforward as far as navigating and obtaining the necessary information goes.

In both versions, I got rid of the blue from their website, and mostly played off of the colors within their original logo.
I also toyed with the idea of getting rid of their original logo altogether and creating my own - which is what turned into my header for the "Keys on Keys" version of things.

Lemme know what you think!
Attachments
Keys on Keys Version - Mobile Residential page
Keys on Keys Version - Mobile Residential page
Keys on Keys Version - Computer Residential page
Keys on Keys Version - Computer Residential page
Keys on Keys Version - Mobile Home page
Keys on Keys Version - Mobile Home page
Keys on Keys Version - Computer Home page
Keys on Keys Version - Computer Home page
Lock&Chain Version - Mobile Contact page
Lock&Chain Version - Mobile Contact page
Lock&Chain Version - Computer Contact page
Lock&Chain Version - Computer Contact page
Lock&Chain Version - Mobile Home page
Lock&Chain Version - Mobile Home page
Lock&Chain Version - Computer Home page
Lock&Chain Version - Computer Home page
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

Abused Oreo

Re: Project 3 Prelim Critique~~~

Post by Abused Oreo »

I like the vibe you have going on with both your designs! They came out very nice. I find the top design to be the stronger one. It's easy to navigate and fits the style your going with. The only thing I would change is making the type in the boxes just a little bit darker to make it easier to read. Great work!
Taylor Von Stetina

trixiapanda

Post by trixiapanda »

I like the first concept more, however, I don't think you necessarily need the gradient? It makes it feel more spoOoOoky. Overall, great work!!
♡ Trixia Benitez

katyroses

Post by katyroses »

Hi there,
Cool designs on both! I think the first one is the best. It has a nice feeling to it and the images look great! Maybe get rid of the gradient?
Katelyn R. Brooke

NalaniN

Post by NalaniN »

Hi Kaitlin,

Very nice work! You chose interesting background images and created a very unified and professional feel with everything. I'm struggling to find something to improve. I don't mind the gradient. I think the serif fonts are intended to give a "been around a long time and are trustworthy" vibe, and it works. I guess you could try a contrasting sans-serif in places just to see how it might look.
Great job!
Nalani Nickles

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You certainly succeeded in making these more visually interesting, Kaitlin.

I like your "keys_on_keys" design better largely because of three things. One, your background image. That image is perfect. It's a fascinating pattern that projects urban grittiness and illustrates what they do in one photo. It's also a pattern so it works to add visual interest. Two, your use on contrast. The black and white works great and supplements the grittiness established with your photo. It also serves as a great backdrop so your little bits of red really stand out. Three, the way you use the white header and footer to frame your content. It's such great visual shorthand and immediately draws the eye to the center of your layout. Your font choice works pretty well, too. A nice traditional sans-serif to indicate that this business has been around a while and will be there a while more. I like the little secondary logo at the bottom, too. It looks homey and fun.

I would have the image bleed a little more into the dark at the top and bottom edges. Have some of the pattern carry through and fade out in the white. Obviously you'll need to mask the pattern a bit for the navigation so a bit of black would be necessary, but I think having at least some of the pattern visible would add a little bit of visual interest. I also don't think you need to horizontally stretch your bodycopy. It works fine in your bulleted list, so I don't see the need for change in the body.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Fear The Deer

Post by Fear The Deer »

I think you did a great job making everything cohesive to their original logo! I like the first set a little more, the background image is a nice texture without being too busy. I do like the photo of the owner in the second set, I think small businesses being more personable with details like that is nice- I think it'd be cool if the photo of him is on one of your pages.
Jessica Laughead

cwalkerdesign

Post by cwalkerdesign »

Hello
Great job on your designs the content is easily readable and the layout is also easy to follow.
Charmaine

Brandon_P

Post by Brandon_P »

I like your first design, good layout but may need a little more color in its design.
Brandon Plunkett

genesis_urena

Post by genesis_urena »

Hi!

Nice job. I think the first design looks a little too blocky, thats why I'll choose the second one. Still you got a great and unique idea putting the "Meet our team" in a circle with arrows, it really looks nice. The colors type is visible and the colors combine perfect. Nice job!
GENESISURENA