Project 3 Preliminary Critique

This is an archive subforum of the previous version of Project Three. This is for inspiration only. DO NOT POST YOUR PROJECT THREES HERE.
Abused Oreo

Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by Abused Oreo »

For project three I wanted to redesign my very own highschool's very outdated website. All the links lead nowhere and it's covered in ads. The last time it was updated was in 2017. http://spanishspringshs.com/
Attachments
rough_01_homepage.png
rough_01_about_page.png
rough_01_mobile_home.png
rough_01_mobile_about.png
rough_02_homepage.png
rough_02_about_page.png
rough_02_mobile_home.png
rough_02_mobile_about.png
Taylor Von Stetina

Gr8K8

Re: Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by Gr8K8 »

Hey Taylor.

Cool redesigns! Both versions are definitely easier to navigate through.

Between the two versions, I prefer the ones with the large background images. I think they bring a lot of character and visual interest to the design. On your Mobile About page in Version 2, I feel like your column of text would benefit from being made just slightly narrower? That or play with the justification of your text a bit so that you aren't getting those single words that are kind of separate from everything like "Labs" in "5 computer labs," and the "and" in "C3Media Program and Sports Medicine..."
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

trixiapanda

Post by trixiapanda »

I like both concepts! I think I am leaning more towards the second one since it seems unique to me? Maybe make the headline "Spanish Springs High School, Home of the Cougars" in the middle of the text box because I feel like the way it is aligned to the top feels a bit like it was just placed on there. Overall, awesome work!!
♡ Trixia Benitez

katyroses

Post by katyroses »

Hi there,
I think both designs look good. The first has a clean design feel to it, but the second has some cool photo use going on. Maybe combine the two? I like the purple! Also, the fonts are nice!
Katelyn R. Brooke

NalaniN

Post by NalaniN »

Hi Taylor,

Really nice designs! The colors work, all the text is clean and easy to read, it looks easy to navigate. The only thing I can see that you might change is the last line of your body copy to be left-aligned rather than center-aligned. It might feel a little more natural when reading.
Great job!
Nalani Nickles

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow! Those sure are purple. Lol.

I am both a sucker for contrast and a sucker for transparency. This time my transparency suckerhood has overridden my contrast suckerhood. I like your "rough_02"s a little better. It's the large background image combined with the transparency that does it for me. You've got enough opacity that the images are not interfering with your type, but enough transparency that you can clearly see the image behind them. I like the top menu acting as a top frame and the interaction between it and the purple column is just *chef's kiss*. The navigation itself is easy to see and read. Your type is well chosen too. It's a clean, forward looking, typeface which works well for a high school since they're all about the future. And it's large and bright enough to be seen against the purple. So I guess I did get my contrast itch scratched after all.

Narrow the type a little bit on your mobile layout. The left and right margin between the text and the semi-transparent purple box is a little tight. Also, add the Spanish Spring Cougar into the design. It looks a little plain without him and the layout needs a logo anyway.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Fear The Deer

Post by Fear The Deer »

The same highschool as me! :) They've updated the website since I graduated, but I remember the one before it not being very good either...
I really like your second set- it really features the school color prominently, and I like the full-screen imagery. I think it gives a lot more of an impression of what the student culture is like, and you could easily continue it with a different photo depending on page content (like photos of the art club murals, or science labs, etc) I really like it!
Jessica Laughead

cwalkerdesign

Post by cwalkerdesign »

Hello
I like both of your designs but I am thinking the first one is better due to the imagery and content. The images in the second are more hidden compared to the first one.
Great job
Charmaine
Charmaine

Brandon_P

Post by Brandon_P »

I like both designs. Both have a good siple layout to them that makes it easy to navigate. If I had to pick one thought I would go with the second design, what can I say I like transparency.
Brandon Plunkett

genesis_urena

Post by genesis_urena »

Hello! Nice job on both. I like the sports one, I think it catch the future students attention bringing possibilities with sports. The sport image adds movement and make it less blocky. Nice job! :)
GENESISURENA