Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
suiish

Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by suiish »

Hi, my name is Briana Flores and these are my basic designs for project one. I really wanted mine to be simple and to show a bit of my personality. I didn't know what image to import onto my website so I just decided to quickly sketch out something and place that! I stuck with the same style for both versions, but I did change the colors to see which one was better or pleasing to the eye.

I used some of the older projects on the forum for inspiration. I really liked the simple illustrative style of some of them and really wanted to mimic that with my project. Anyways, hope you guys like them! :D
Attachments
Mobile - Version 2
Mobile - Version 2
Mobile - Version 1
Mobile - Version 1
Website - Version 2
Website - Version 2
Website - Version 1
Website - Version 1
This is Briana Flores, in case you forgot! :D

CedarM

Re: Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by CedarM »

I really like the green layouts, I think that green creates a little better hierarchy. The pink in the fence really draws you eye first then you eye flows naturally from the fence to the bush to the type, and when you have the pink behind the text it becomes a little too distracting.
- Cedar Moosmuller

meekster_

Post by meekster_ »

I like the layout of these! and I love how you always have cute characters in your designs. maybe try to experiment with the designs to fit in both the green and the pink ? hard to choose just one!! both cute
~Mika Miller~

missStormy

Post by missStormy »

I like the green color scheme better than the pink. Also your mascot is so cute, I want to steal him, lol. I would suggest changing the font to something more decorative or more serif-like. The font you have now is not completely harmonizing with the background and images.

Stormy
Last edited by missStormy on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy

SkellyboneJones

Post by SkellyboneJones »

I think if you're going to pull the color from your illustration, I'd recommend dialing it back a bit. Both the pink and the green look nice, but both of them also look a little overpowering compared to the overall lightness of the design. The large weight of the block of color, especially being positioned above them in the mobile layout, throws off the balance a little bit. But the style and illustration are very cute and appropriate, top notch.
This is Trevor. So if you don't know, now you know.

JamesC46

Post by JamesC46 »

I like the simple design. The text could use a center-justified alignment and a y-axis coordinate alignment to give even space on the top and bottom of the sidebars.

Thanks for sharing!
James Chumpol

sndbox

Post by sndbox »

I like both designs, I just wish there was a different version instead of a different color. I like the layouts of both, but I think the space (on the big size) between your name, the image and the GRC 175.. at the bottom is really tight, you may want to either make the image slightly smaller and align it in the space between them so the space is even for all three things, or moving your name to the far right (above the tabs) and then moving the image up would just make it easier on that space.
Sandra R.
san-druh

KJX

Post by KJX »

Hey! I love your character, keep it no matter what! Shows us your abilities. Overall I would say to use less pastel colors so we can actually feel your love for graphic design.

-KJ

hmayooo

Post by hmayooo »

Hi! I think I like the green version of this design better, since there are some complimentary colors in there instead of almost all pink. I think you could definitely play around with the typography a little more! Also, the bars you have framing the text could probably be a little thinner or maybe a lighter color; as they are, they are a little heavy for how light and relaxed your design is. Other than that I think the illustration you chose is creative and the layout is easy to navigate.
~Hayley Mayo~

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

There's not a lot of difference between your two roughs other than color, so this looks to me like basically one design we are critiquing.

That being said, I like the green version better than the pink version. Your little skull farmer brings a smile to my face. He's very Undertale and makes for a fun cartoon to set the mood of the website. The rest of the design is very clean and easy to see/read/use. The white background makes a good contrast between it, the cartoon, and the colored box that contains the bulk of the site content. Your navigation is easy to see and use. I assume the black boxes next to your buttons are going to have some sort of icon or imagery in them? I like your type too. It's kind of a happy sans-serif and works well with your theme.

The big, thick lines look like redactions on a classified document. I think you can thin them out a ton and still separate sections effectively. Watch the right margin on your bodycopy on your computer design. It's awfully close to the right edge of your colored box.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173