Project 1 Prelim Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
JamesC46

Project 1 Prelim Critique

Post by JamesC46 »

Hi,

Here are my first two iterations for the site in the form of a portfolio featuring my art. I like minimalism and silently imposing type.

Gal Gadot's site is a main inspiration between both roughs of my site; I love the way the pictures are the main focus and how the title and navigation are out of the way and lost in the images.

Marina Abramovic's site is another inspiration on how I format the title and navigation. I also like the use of its small type and white space.

I like to use artist portfolio sites as they are uniquely distinct from one another.
Attachments
Second concept.
Second concept.
project01_prelim_concept02_1080p.jpg
First concept.
First concept.
project01_prelim_concept01_1080p.jpg
James Chumpol

meekster_

Re: Project 1 Prelim Critique

Post by meekster_ »

I love how creative these are! they remind me of movie posters, very clean and professional looking. I like the use of black and white as well. i like the second concept better because I personally like the full screen photo look !
~Mika Miller~

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

I think in the computer version of concept02 you should enlarge the type, in my opinion you have too much empty space. I do like the movie poster look to the designs, and how clean they are.
- Cedar Moosmuller

missStormy

Post by missStormy »

I agree that the movie poster design is the one you should go with. I do agree that enlarging the text too will fill up any awkward space.

Stormy
Last edited by missStormy on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy

sndbox

Post by sndbox »

I like the first design, I just think maybe on the computer version text is a little too small, it seems much smaller than the phone version, maybe just make it slightly bigger!
Sandra R.
san-druh

suiish

Post by suiish »

I really like how clean both of your designs are, it makes them look super cool and professional. I think the fully white version of your design is the more successful one, however the text on the website is a bit too small to read. Other than that, they're cool designs!
This is Briana Flores, in case you forgot! :D

SkellyboneJones

Post by SkellyboneJones »

I think that the second design is the strongest of the two, especially with how minimal and striking the contrast is. The design is very subdued, so if you were going forward with that, I would make sure the images you choose don't low contrast. You're going to need higher contrast images if you're gonna keep the theming monochromatic. Overall a very strong direction! I dig it.
This is Trevor. So if you don't know, now you know.

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

Nice! These are some really clean designs! Both versions are super clear and easy to navigate. I also like the strong contrast you've got going on.
Between the two versions I like "concept02" best. I think the background image is stronger, plus it has a great texture going on that creates a lot of visual interest.
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

hmayooo

Post by hmayooo »

Both of these designs are awesome! I really like the use of blank space in both designs; combined with the black and white, I think it makes the designs really impactful. I do agree that some of your text could be a bit bigger and easier to read, mainly on your desktop versions. Overall I think I like concept 2 the best!
~Hayley Mayo~

KJX

Post by KJX »

Hey! I love your blurred image through your first version. Keep up the good work. Explore more with that concept.

-KJ