Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
wilson_iii

Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by wilson_iii »

Hello all,
Here is my submission for Project 1. All photos were taken by me. I'm still not sure if I am happy with either of these, I want to change the colors on one to see what other colors I can roll with. I am pleased with how the header looks. The colors on the page are meant to match the sunset, but I just don't think I like it. I am pleased with both graphics, I think they look okay, but again with the color... Please let me know what you think!

Sources for inspiration:

https://www.map-office.com/

https://www.pentagram.com/
Attachments
rough02-Mobile.png
rough02-desktop.png
rough01-mobile.png
rough01-desktop.png
Last edited by wilson_iii on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meekster_

Re: Project 1 Preliminary Critique

Post by meekster_ »

I like the color choices and I think that your photos are also a nice touch! personally I lean more towards rough 2, however the circular image gets lost because the background is black.
~Mika Miller~

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

I really like the colors and pictures you used. I think in both rough02 designs and in the mobile rough01 having the yellow and orange buttons works really well because it matches the sky color above it. I don't think it works very well in the computer version of rough01. If you made them match the sky right above them I think it would look better.
- Cedar Moosmuller

missStormy

Post by missStormy »

I like how your content is organized and the color scheme is nice, into the sunset. I do think the photo while nice, does blend in too much with the background. Also the text boxes you have seem to clash with the oranges and yellows. I would suggest having the text white so you have some room to breathe.

Stormy
Last edited by missStormy on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stormy

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

I love the color choices you used! I also really like how you have the black mountain silhouette that just leads into the black background. I also really enjoy that your navigation buttons shift in color to match the sky/sunset.
Between the 2 versions I like the "rough02" ones best. I think the layout flows better and cuts your content up nicely.
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

SkellyboneJones

Post by SkellyboneJones »

I like both designs fairly equally, to be honest. One thing I would try though is on your web versions, try having your navigation bar span across the whole page. Having it stop abruptly half way through the page is a little odd. Or you could give a very clear and hard-defined break in the middle, similar to a magazine spread. But either way, good work so far.
This is Trevor. So if you don't know, now you know.

suiish

Post by suiish »

I think your first design is ore successful, however your image on the black background is hard to see. I recommend you either change the image, or brighten the image or background. I really like your color choices as well.
This is Briana Flores, in case you forgot! :D

darth vader de pot noodle

Post by darth vader de pot noodle »

Bonjour will, I'm thinking the first two are better because that bar feels like its in place.
Juan YEETER Moreno

JamesC46

Post by JamesC46 »

In my opinion, the first design is an overall better iteration compared to the second. There is a contrasting issue with the circle image, I would recommend adding a stroke (an outline) around the circle image to have it pop out from the black background. You should also increase the size of the buttons as the text is bleeding through the boxes (the 'j' in 'Projects' for example). I think keeping the body text size consistent would help as well.

Thanks for sharing!
James Chumpol

sndbox

Post by sndbox »

I like the smaller/phone design on your rough 2, I just think the circle with the Reno photo is pretty difficult to see, so if you could I would either lighten the image or choose a different one.
However, I think the website of rough 1 is a little stronger, but still with the Reno image, it's very difficult to see. I do like how you used the orange and yellow colors from the background photo, that was a nice touch!
Sandra R.
san-druh