Project 1 Preliminary

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
kmohara5190

Project 1 Preliminary

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi Everyone,

Here are the websites that inspired me:

https://www.adhamdannaway.com/
The website's main picture is interactive and draws the audience in, since they can play with the design. I would love to be able to incorporate something like that in my websites. It adds an element that not a lot of websites have, and it makes it look very modern.

https://www.byalicelee.com/
The bright colors and illustrations in this website are so fun and eye-catching that I felt inspired when I saw this designer’s website. Just like the other website, this one is interactive, which I love. I also chose this one because of its vibrant colors. It adds a sense of fun and playfulness that I would like to add into my websites in the future.

Websites that provided useful information:

https://visme.co/blog/website-color-schemes/
https://contentsnare.com/best-graphic-design-websites/

For my first design I wanted to do something interesting, and incorporate white text. So I found an image that had nice colors, and that would contrast well. And I laid the text on top of the image so that it was visible.

For my second design I wanted to create a clean, calm, easy to read website. After finding an image I really liked that was simple and small, I used the same colors from that image in my website, so that it would be cohesive. Then I laid out the elements in a way I thought would be easy to follow.
Attachments
Image 2-9-21 at 4.31 PM.jpg
Image 2-9-21 at 4.26 PM.jpg
Image 2-9-21 at 4.22 PM.jpg
Image 2-9-21 at 4.18 PM.jpg
Kierann O'Hara

kendall_the_mann

Re: Project 1 Preliminary

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hi Kierann!

I do really love the background of the first design, but if I had to choose I think I favor the second design a bit more! The simplicity adds more to the rest of your design and I think the type you chose is better suited for the second one as well! Maybe if you wanted to add in a similar background to the second one, possibly a bit lghter, that would work as well!

Awesome design, I'm looking forward to seeing how your final website turns out : )
-Kendall Mann

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

You made some really interesting designs. I really like the first one with the water background because the colors make me feel relaxed and happy. The scenery is also just really pretty. I think that it would help to make the text a darker color. I also think that putting a bit of a darker shadow on the text at the bottom would help it be easier to read. Nice job!
:) KATHY RUECKL

Anayik

Post by Anayik »

Hi Kierann,

You definitely picked a photo that has nice contrasting abilities, but that being said I would like to see where your second design could go. The illustrations are fun and clean and bright and work nicely as design elements. I would say that you could even bring more of it in. Maybe see if you can find more of that same style of illustration (or create yourself?), save it as a .png file and then you will have elements with a transparent background so you can play with them in your layout without having to worry about a box shape around it. Also, considering that your design here is minimal with lots of white space you definitely have creative liberties with your font for your name. You could get away with doing something more stylized if you wanted to. Love how you used colors from the illustration in your title. I'm excited to see where you take it!
Kiana Bohm

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Kierann,
I really like both of these designs. The image of Emerald Bay is really pretty and the colors you chose in the second layout are also really nice and work well together. I think if you are an artist based in the Tahoe/Truckee area then the Emerald Bay image could be a good choice if you so chose, but the simple layout design is also a good choice whether you live in that area or not. It seems that you are using a single typeface on each of these designs, and while I think it works on the second design, I think you should consider adding a second one to the first. The rounded typeface is good for your name and other subheads, but I think the main body of text needs to be changed to a sans serif of some sort so that there is some contrast not only in the colors on the page but the text too. Having said that I do think your second design is stronger and better than the first, but if you make some changes to the first then it could look really good no matter what design direction you choose to go in.
JacklynYamine

dearangela

Post by dearangela »

Hi Kierann!

I enjoy both of your designs! I like your imagery from your first design and your composition with your second. If I had to choose I would bring the composition from your second design into your first to nicely frame everything, with your first design layout it feels like your text is floating around. I also like the color palette you have for your first design, it brings more excitement and interest! Can't wait to see your upcoming designs.
angela_gutierrezgapuz

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Uh oh. It's time for Michael to play the wanker client and say "Hm. There are things I like about both of them." And we're off to the races!

Actually, truth be told, I mostly like your second design better. It's a cleaner layout with better typography, navigational placement, and graphics. I really think you should build that one. It covers all the bases in both mobile and computer. Everything about it points to it being a nice functional layout. It even has a great little gallery spot to show off various artworks!

Where it falls down is that it's very cold and sterile, though the image does help. What it could use is a nice background image, which your first one solves admirably. I'd recommend sticking a nice background image behind your second design and doing the layout in semi-transparency on top of it. If you don't want to use an image, I'd recommend introducing some contrasting colors, perhaps in your top bar or footer to give it just a little bit of extra visual interest.

Nice work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Mal-Festio

Post by Mal-Festio »

Hey Kierann,

I think you have great designs. I think either one will make a very nice website. I really like you use the water and forest as two sections to put your text, and the colors are excellent in your first one. The text on the mobile version is hard to read; maybe try to find a way to make it easier to read, like a backdrop panel or an outer glow. In your second set, I really like how simple it is; black, white, and orange. I sort of think of it like a poetry book.
Jordi Cruz Trujillo

Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Kierann,
I'm loving your first rough. The only thing I can suggest editing is giving breathing room to the header because right now I feel the text is too close to the top.
Kassandra Fuentes

comicsansfanclub

Post by comicsansfanclub »

Hi Kierann,
I'm really liking your second design the most. It definitely feels very calm and looks clean. I don't really know what to suggest because it already looks really awesome. I'm just really excited about seeing your final result!
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Hazzie Castaneda*:・゚✧*:・゚✧