Project 1 Final Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
kendall_the_mann

Project 1 Final Critique

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hello Everyone!

I'm Kendall, and this is the final set of designs I decided on for our project 1 website homepage! I'm glad I chose the one most of you found to be the best in terms of layout and color and simplicity because it definitely turned out sharp! I think I definitely solved the problem of type and sizing issues from the preliminary critique, and overall I think I tackled the project in a way that I can be proud of. I love the color scheme I ended up with and even though I was afraid of getting all the required type in there without making it look crowded, I think I ended up succeeding in that especially!

I'm proud of the modernity and sleekness of my final design and how it definitely emulates a lot of modern personal designer websites today. I hope you all like my final design, but I'm always open to making my designs better and better so critiques/advice/change suggestions are extremely welcome!

https://www.w3schools.com/howto/howto_website.asp
https://collegeinfogeek.com/personal-website/

I also added my two information websites because I appreciate that they're helping me get a jumpstart on how to upload this homepage to the web! I am not tech savvy in the slightest, except when it comes to Adobe, so the simple advice and step-by-step writing of these articles/tutorials are really helpful!

Thank you for reading and looking at my design, I can't wait to see all of your final designs as well :)
Attachments
IMG_0034.PNG
IMG_0033.jpeg
-Kendall Mann

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 1 Final Critique

Post by Instructor »

Excellent! You chose the rip in space and time design. I liked this one better.

I'm still amused by the "That's All Folks" cartoon ending style you have going on here. Your picture is bursting through your background like a fetal alien. Brings a smile to my face, it does. You fixed the issues your last design had, too. Your margins are excellent and I see not a trace of TMCC's hideous green. Your purple background color adds just that extra touch of zane to your design. Not a laugh but a giggle. Well chosen. It sets your image off nicely and contrasts well with the black and white. One thing that stands out at me is the really nice left alignment you've established with your title and your bodycopy. That left edge creates a nice line of demarcation and an edge that you use to establish a gutter between them and your burst photo. Nicely done.

Your navigation on your computer and your mobile layouts are both a little small. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Good work! The one makes me smile.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Anayik

Post by Anayik »

Hi Kendall,

Yeah this concept was already strong in the prelim, so way to run with that. You did a great job maintaining consistency between the monitor and mobile versions of your site. I think that can be tricky to adjust to sometimes. Alos, still love the colors and the shape behind your image. Overall, clean, to the point and easy to navigate
Kiana Bohm

rmepinero

Post by rmepinero »

Hi Kendall,

I really love how simple your design is, but there’s also really nice design elements that make it unique, dynamic, and easy to navigate. I especially like the geometric shape behind your profile it’s very fun. The purple also feels perfect with your layout. Nice job!
Rowena Piñero
"My vibe is like, hey you could probably pour soup in my lap and I'll apologize to you."

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Kendall,
I still can't get over how nice of a shade of purple this color is! I think the only thing to continue thinking about is your navigation because you have a lot of items up there, and I think that it will become too much for the phone/mobile layout, so I would suggest turning that into a hamburger menu so that you have some nice spacing to keep your name/logo big and you don't have to squish all those menu items underneath because as Michael pointed out they are a little small as they are on both layouts but I think when you actually see them on a phone they will be even smaller.
JacklynYamine

gavin_clouser

Post by gavin_clouser »

I like the simpleness to your design. Makes it easy to follow and doest completely clutter the. mind. You have a good direction going here.
gclouser701

Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Kendall,
Love this design. It's simple, great color palette, and is more personal. Great job in taking everyone's feedback and incorporating it into your design :)
Kassandra Fuentes

Hamistani

Post by Hamistani »

Hello Kendall,
This looks great! The colors look very good together, and the fonts used are perfect. I really like the image behind your image because it gives it a comic kind of theme. I would make the navigation buttons a bit bigger because they are disappearing on the screen a bit. Other than this small change, it looks great! :D
- Heather Amistani
Ehhh, What's up Doc? ;)

it's_crysta

Post by it's_crysta »

I like that you picked the design with the starburst. Your design is so clean and simple that the touch of something bursting out makes some nice contrast. Nicely done!
it's Crysta (Clark)

i feel like i'm on neopets again

ItsAllisxn

Post by ItsAllisxn »

Hi Kendall!

YES! Your bearded dragon made it in the final!! That makes me so happy. I love your personal logo and the color palette you have. It reminds of colors used in pop art which makes it so fun and unique. One thing I noticed was the "resources" tab floating down on the bottom. Something I suggest is taking out the "about" tab and replacing it with the "resources" tab because your about is sort of already on your homepage. This would also give some room to stretch out the "GRC 175" text. Great work Kendall! I'm really excited to see your published website :)
Allison Hartmann - Kachow 8-)