What do you call a preliminary race for bears?

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
aka_fefi

What do you call a preliminary race for bears?

Post by aka_fefi »

A Koalifier.

Ha.

ANYWAYS.
Here's my prelim as it stands right now. I went with a professional design that goes along nicely with the TMCC website as is and then I made a fun, artsier version of the design as well. I think I prefer the more fun version just cause it's more visually interesting to me but I'll wait to see what y'all think before I commit!
project04prelim2.jpg
project04prelim22.jpg
tmccprelim2mobile.jpg
tmccprelim2mobile2.jpg
project04prelim1.jpg
project04prelim12.jpg
tmccprelim1mobile.jpg
tmccprelim1mobile2.jpg
Stephanie Serpa

Everything I know about web design is from ~*myspace*~

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: What do you call a preliminary race for bears?

Post by Instructor »

Oh God. That pun!

I too, like your fun design better. It feels more creative and artsy than your very professional first design. I think it's the extra color of the "taste the rainbow" splash in the back. I like the size of your top header. It functions to frame the content below and draw the eye to your navigation, which is easy to see and use. The bright background draws the eye and the fun font is very legible while also being very non-standard. Good work with the transparency on your bodycopy container. It adds visual interest and allows your fun background image to show through. It looks like this design should collapse nicely into mobile without too much fuss, too.

To me what it really needs are contrast and images, two things your first design does well. I'd make the top nav dark, like you did on your first one and maybe use the TMCC lime as a rollover or accent color. I'd also recommend putting in a bunch of photos. Maybe stock stuff of creative students at work, software screenshots, a fe TMCC lab photos, a campus photo or two, some student art hanging around, that kind of thing. Also, you may want to try different background splashes on each page. That'd add more fun and encourage people to explore.

Nicely done, Stephanie!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Anayik

Post by Anayik »

Hi Stephanie,

I like your second concept best. The first one is laid out well and totally works but the second one is just what the doctor ordered for the GAAMT site. We are, a visual arts program, after all. I love the use of white space in there still though. It's a strong composition. I think adding some imagery would really help to draw your audience in.
Kiana Bohm

kmohara5190

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi Stephanie,
I think I like your first design better, just because there is more going on and that draws my eye throughout the design. The only thing that I would change is the image on the homepage, I think if you lightened it a little it would make your design more bright. Good job!
Kierann O'Hara

it's_crysta

Post by it's_crysta »

Hi Stephanie, I like you second design the best, I feel like it fits in more with what the ga&mt program is than tmcc stock image photos and having all that extra color is nice too.Good work!
it's Crysta (Clark)

i feel like i'm on neopets again

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Nice job on both of your layouts. I think they both look professional and clean. I prefer the second one the best because of the artistic paint background. It adds to the theme of the graphic design program. I don't mind the that you used outlined font but I don't think it quite matches up with the font used for the navigation. The color combination of the bright background, white, black, and green all work really well together. I think this can end up looking really fun. Good job.
:) KATHY RUECKL

Hamistani

Post by Hamistani »

Hello Stephanie,
I really like your second design! It's very eye appealing and easy to read/navigate The colors go very well together, and one can totally see that it is a GAAMT website. I would add images and add different paint splatters to the backgrounds. Great job!
- Heather Amistani
Ehhh, What's up Doc? ;)

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Stephanie,
I really like that you wanted to show the artsier side of the program but I think, at least for the homepage, you should stick with an image of campus or students or something so that people know where they are when they visit the site and that it is associated with TMCC. Having said that I really like your first design and how you have the textual information slightly intruding into the image. I love that you aren't using a stark black color with the green, it's more of a darker gray, so there is still good contrast but not too much. I do think you could get away with lightening the light gray color you use for your nav even more if you don't want to use white.
JacklynYamine

ItsAllisxn

Post by ItsAllisxn »

Hi Stephanie,

I really like both of your compositions! Both of them are completely different yet look really great! Both layouts are super simple and easy to navigate, and translate well to your mobile versions. Personally, I think I'm going to have to go with your first composition, but maybe incorporating some of the elements from your second design would be really cool. For example, maybe adding the background of the second composition onto your first one? That would help to separate the page from TMCC in general and give a sense of some design. Great job!
Allison Hartmann - Kachow 8-)

kendall_the_mann

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hi Stephanie!

Puns don't usually make me laugh that hard but I genuinely was not expecting that one lol.

Here's my favorite pun/joke as payment: What do you do when you see a Spaceman?

You Park, man.

ANYWAY, I really love both of your designs! They're both so different that it's hard for me to choose my favorite. I think if push came to shove, your second one is a bit better to me personally! I think the first is incredible, but in terms of advertising an Arts degree I think the second one does more to accomplish that. Awesome job!
-Kendall Mann