Proj. 01 Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.

Which one we feeling Chat?

Poll runs till Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:55 pm

Option 01
60%
Option 02
40%

Total votes: 5

anacatnic

Proj. 01 Prelim

Post by anacatnic »

Helloo!!! Here are my prelim designs, for the first one i wanted to keep it simple and let the image (my cat haha) to be the main focus. I'm not sure I'm in love with this color scheme but it's definitely something I can tweak more. For my second design I was going for social media (kinda like Facebook? Admittedly I haven't used that site since 2013 oops), and the photos for the time being are once again of my cat, but they are subject to change. I put the fake ads there to fill space since old websites used to have a funny aspect ratio, but I might get rid of them. Let me know what you think!!!

Links:
https://www.monographcomms.ca/
https://foundry.co/
Attachments
grc175_proj01_web01.png
grc175_proj01_mobile01.jpg
grc175_proj01_web02.png
grc175_proj01_mobile02.jpg
-- Anastasia Valory 8-)

david_wolstenholm

Re: Proj. 01 Prelim

Post by david_wolstenholm »

Hi Anastasia,
I just love these layouts, but the first layout I found to be the most eye-catching. I think the color scheme is just right and provides the perfect contrast. The fonts you have chosen fit well and add to the overall look of the design. I was going to suggest that you align the text better, but then I realized that the split screen gives the illusion that they are not aligned. Great job, very professional looking.
David Wolstenholm

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your first one, Anastasia. It's cleaner and simpler and it puts Mr. Snuffleupagus front and center. As he should be.

That pic works super well to grab the eye, plus it's funny. It does a good job of adding whimsy to your layout and setting the tone. I also like the diagonal edge. That serves well to break the blockiness that a lot of web compositions fall into. The overlapping navigation adds a little spark of visual interest, further breaks your content out of boxes, and draws the eye to a critical part of you layout. I like the gradient backer behind the content. It adds more visual interest and serves to highlight the content. Both of your gradient colors are dark enough to back white type and it really helps it pop out. Speaking of type, I also like your typeface choices. They're unusual without being difficult to read. Even your name text works well. It's expressionistic which works well with the more conservative bodycopy and navigation copy.

I'd recommend adding a little more line spacing into your bodycopy. You have the vertical room for it.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

m1ggsart

Post by m1ggsart »

Hello!
I gotta say that I really love both of your designs, but I like the first one first more. It has a very professional look, and easy to navigate. The picture of your cat is perfect, and goes along well with the rest of your design. I agree with the instructor. Your body copy should use a little more spacing. Your color scheme works great. It creates a good balance of contrast. Overall it is a great design. I don't think I got anything else to say other than great job.
Miguel_Sanchez

Alexis_Z

Post by Alexis_Z »

Hi Anastasia!
I like both of your designs a lot, but I have to agree with everyone in saying that the first one is the most visually appealing. I like the diagonal cut across the page and the photo you chose is adorable! The colors work well together and the mobile version also works well, as it kept the same visual elements as the desktop version.
- Alexis Zundell

Lhart

Post by Lhart »

Hello Anastasia!

I love the cat!!!

Both designs are well thought out and professional. If I were to pick, it would be the second IMO because the "profile" gives you something you see to scroll down to as the first layout to me seems sort of like a dead end?

If you prefer the first, I would contrast the buttons more with type size or movement. Great job!
- Liam Hartman :mrgreen:

Emily-Hudson

Post by Emily-Hudson »

Hi, Anastasia

I really like your second layout! I love the theming of it and think it does a good job of leading the eye around.

I think you could play with that layout a bit more and give it some more hierarchy overall. You did a great job of mimicking exactly what a site such as Facebook would make, but I think you can break the mold a bit more and play with hierarchy to provide more emphasis on things such as your projects and scaling down the "less important" (but still fun) things such as the fake ads.

Really great work with both layouts, colors, and the type! I'm digging both.
Emily Hudson Image

rebekah_stevenson

Post by rebekah_stevenson »

Hi Anastasia,

I really like your first design! It has balance, interesting shapes and a cool color theme. I would suggest continuing the theme of having the header go across the line into the picture with maybe having your name go across the line too.
Your second design is conceptually very interesting but its hard to read because its very busy.

Overall great job,
Rebekah

shasta_the_masta

Post by shasta_the_masta »

Anastasia,
These are both so great! Your cat is super cute! It’s hard to choose… The first one is gorgeous but I think the idea of a fake social media feed is fun, too. I think if you somehow combined the two, that would be great.
If I were you, I would remove the fake ads on the sides. I think they’re kind of unnecessary unless you had a plan to make them funny or relevant to the project.
~ Shasta Mori ~

Luke_Nelson

Post by Luke_Nelson »

Hey Anastasia!

Cute Cat! I think that the second design is more interesting and better laid out. I like the bright blue color. I like the fonts that you chose to use. I like how you added spots for fake ads. If I could do anything differently, I would add more navigational buttons to the mobile version of that design. Good work overall!
Luke Dakota Nelson