Project One Roughs - Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
DustDjinn

Re: Project One Roughs - Preliminary Critique

Post by DustDjinn »

I know that everyone wants to pick the second layout but the simpleness draws me to layout number one. It feels easy to use and beautiful.
Dustin Hill

re8ecca

Post by re8ecca »

Hi Donna,
The second design really seems to scream YOU, so I'd recommend following that one further. The way you've mixed the photos and illustrations is wonderful, and it achieves a really nice balance. I feel like it's very close to coming together, but something is holding it back. I feel like I want to see something more in your header, but right now I'm stumped. I think your color palette is great, and it doesn't overwhelm the design.
Rebecca Baumann
rebecca.dsb@gmail.com

Landsknecht

Post by Landsknecht »

I really like both concepts you have. Both designs are very cohesive and well done. They both say something different about you, so you'll just have to choose which one has more of a "school" vibe...
Jeremy Winkler
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate - Abraham Lincoln

Heyyou

Post by Heyyou »

I really like the second layout. The first one is very well done, but the second one is "you". The textures and layout are well thought out and are fun and engaging. You might want to work on the size or total number of your elements as things can get lost in a design. Great start.
Oh stewardess, I speak jive

Aharon Williams

ekfulton

Post by ekfulton »

Hi Donna~

I am having a difficult time choosing between the two designs. Both are very appealing in different ways. The first design is super cohesive and I love the vanishing perspective of the photograph you have chosen. Plus, the use of primary colors really looks good in contrast with the black background. Also, the border line widths you have chosen add to the modern and bold look of the page. One thing that is missing is the photo of you. I thought the photo you chose for design two is really a great picture. I really like the design the way it is, though, so maybe your could put the picture on the contact page so you meet the requirement but don't have to change the exceptional look of the current design.

As for the second design, as I said I think the picture is great -- the pose is natural, interesting, and your smile lights up the page. I think the use of the Polaroid graphic and the way you have the whole picture element being viewed through the eye glass lens is very effective and original. I feel that all of the elements on the page -- the font choice, the colors, and all of the graphics -- all come together to effectively create the vintage look that you talked about in your comments. I honestly wouldn't change anything about this design -- I'm stretching to come up with even one suggestion as to a way to improve the site like we are supposed to provide but after looking at the design very closely there isn't really anything I can come up with.

I like both of the designs so much. My first instinct is to say flip a coin for which design to choose since they are both fantastic. If I had to nail one down, I'd pick number two just because of the great picture of you on the page.

Very nice work. I'm impressed. I'd love your opinion on a third design that I posted earlier today. Thanks!
E.K. Fulton
ekfulton@gmail.com | 775-298-1515 mobile

Siri

Post by Siri »

Hey Donna, while I am a big fan of the layout and concepts behind your first design, I'm going to lean more for the second one simply because it feels like it portrays you better. It's very original, and while some of the imagery could be distracting from the content, I think it's a good thing when it comes to this design. I can't think of much else in ways of improving it, but if you feel there is something you'd like to change or move around then go for it and please share with the rest of us!
Cristina Sánchez
| cristina_sanchez@mail.tmcc.edu
| Having the time of your life.

freem110

Post by freem110 »

Hello!
I really like the first concept and think the only change I would make is to use different colors for some of the type. I feel that some words are too dark and get lost with the dark background color. But really love the design!
Brian Freeman

vhg0717

Post by vhg0717 »

wow!!! Very well designed layouts! I'm more inclined to the second one. Not only is it artistic, but very classy and interesting. I like the color scheme you chose, and the imagery goes perfect with the design. Great job!
Victor Garcia

Justin Hubert

Post by Justin Hubert »

Hey Donna,

I knew that you were going to choose something with photography and I really like both designs. The first one showcases your photography skills more, but the second one is just so much more interesting. I think I like the second one better because of the buttons. Very good use of the images too. I think that I would like to see the glasses magnify the photo some. That would be a really cool effect.
Justin Hubert

Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Wow those are both very eye catching. I think i like the first one just a little bit more, only because I really enjoy more minimalistic designs.
Raymond Dylan Bivens