Nicole Hicks, Project Two Preliminary

This is an archive subforum of the previous version of Project Three. This is for inspiration only. DO NOT POST YOUR PROJECT THREES HERE.
I'mNicole

Nicole Hicks, Project Two Preliminary

Post by I'mNicole »

Heya everyone.

Here's the website I picked: http://www.coloradoranger.com/. (Beware, your eyeballs will melt if you look at it too long!) It clearly has a huge problem with navigation so that's one of the main things I wanted to focus on. A problem I ran into when scoping out the competition is that, um, most horse registry websites don't seem to have too much thought put into them. So I just decided to just go for it.

I do like the blue color from their main page so I used the Color Scheme Designer to get complementary colors and implemented them in both layouts.

Layout One

This one has more obvious color with the orange everywhere, though, aside from the title, it's used to signify links. I purposefully made the link bar a hair or so wider than the content box just because it appealed to me, but I'm not sure the link boxes on the inner page turned out as great as I'd hoped.
layout1home.jpg
layout1inner.jpg
Layout Two

I'm thinking this one turned out better. It's got an image that will draw the eye and the orange-y accent color is only going to be used for rollovers and to signify the link trail on the inner page. The main links will have submenus that come out when rolled over too.
layout2home.jpg
layout2inner.jpg
"The world is full of ignorant people who don't know what you have just found out." - Unknown

unrepentant nerd/bookworm/geek,
Nicole Hicks

Juan Vazquez Lopez

Re: Nicole Hicks, Project Two Preliminary

Post by Juan Vazquez Lopez »

Hi Nicole:
I am agree with you, I thing the second layout is much better than the first one, the image of the horse helps a lot in the page also the diagonal lines makes it looks dynamic although I am not sure about the scheme color...may is just me but is to much blue... anyways good job.
Juan Vazquez Lopez

re8ecca

Post by re8ecca »

Hi Nicole - It's impossible not to be drawn to the image of the horse. It's definitely the most dynamic part of your design, paired with the diagonal lines. I'd try another typeface for the masthead though... the current one looks squished. I'd also play around with the background in the content area. I don't think it needs to be as dark as the borders or header area. It becomes a bit overwhelming.
Rebecca Baumann
rebecca.dsb@gmail.com

jennybreitrick

Post by jennybreitrick »

Nicole
I think that both layouts are great, for the first one I can see you putting a huge image of a horse in the background with its opacity dropped way down. The colors are working great together and your overall layout of text looks amazing.
jen
jenny breitrick

gokudera08

Post by gokudera08 »

defiantly the 2nd layout it looks a lot more solid.
C.J. Norris. Clark Norris.

Alexey M

Post by Alexey M »

I really like second version of your roughs. I also enjoy your header. It is so dynamic. Very clean design. Good work!
Alexey Makovskiy

Heyyou

Post by Heyyou »

Nicole,

The second layout is the stronger of the two. The stripes create great movement and the color scheme has nice contrast. The header seems large compared the footer and it is throwing off the balance of the design some. It is a great improvement over the original site and is a nice start.

Aharon
Oh stewardess, I speak jive

Aharon Williams

nunezm

Post by nunezm »

Hi Nicole,

The second layout is my favorite. My eyes goes straight to the horse (prefect vocal point). My suggest would be to change the text choice for the header. And also make the text in the body a little bigger. Awesome work!
Maria Nunez

OliviasMama12

Post by OliviasMama12 »

Hi Nicole!

I think I'm enjoying the second set of layouts more, but perhaps you could add just a bit more imagery to balance out all the text?
Nicole Medrano
GRC 175 student

donnalouwho

Post by donnalouwho »

Hi!

I like the second design best. I love the horse image, I think it is the strongest thing on the page. I do think you need some contrasting colors in the body content area, maybe? Pulling some warm colors from the horse might be interesting to do? Coming along nicely! I'm excited to see the finished product! :)
Donna Harn