Project 1 Prelim!!!

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
emilyduke

Re: Project 1 Prelim!!!

Post by emilyduke »

Hey Evelyn!

I really like the first 4 designs, the design in the background is just so eye-catching and really well done. The mobile version is great and super simplified. I think the black transparency on the navigation works really well. Other than that I'd say I'm more drawn to the first design because of the simplicity of the layout, but the more I look at the fourth, its just really clean and a great layout as well. So...your typography always looks great and you'll just have to pick for yourself!
Starfish ✩ emily duke

Jones

Post by Jones »

I like the second two the best, though all the offerings are great. The second two were the most easy for my eye to navigate and digest the info. Really fun, lighthearted designs. I like em.

jason_hosier

Post by jason_hosier »

Your color palette and the geometric shapes really work for this project. i cant think of a valid criticism. good work.
"Any law that cannot bend in a storm is destined to be broken."

giusti56

Post by giusti56 »

Hey, my favorite is the second design for a lot of reasons. It has a very nice overall flow to the page and I like the geometric patterns. I would maybe try making the social media logos on the left side fit better with the background.
-Tony Giusti

clawson

Post by clawson »

I like your use of colors in all your examples. I love the geometic design of 2 & 1 and the graphic of design 3. Example 3 could have a bit more contrast in the top bar between light pink and white. Also consider hello there this is evelyn in one color.
Clara Lawson

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow! Nicely done, Evelyn. I'd say you've got three equally good designs going here. Whenever this happens, I leave it up to the designer to pick their favorite. Here's my two cents about each of them.

Two things stand out to me about the first one, it's perfectly selected colors and it's use of transparency. I really like the use of the split complimentary colorscheme. Very appealing to the eye. The Justin Maller geometric gradient background is really working. The color shift subtly guides the eye from the top to the bottom. Transparency adds an extra layer of visual interest to the overall composition as well as letting that geometric background shine through without interfering with the type and making it illegible. Speaking of type, it is perfectly chosen here. Usually, I'm not a fan of three typeface designs, but they all work well together here, especially the script type with the sans-serif bodycopy. The whole composition also has near perfect margins. And I like the fake geometric drop shadow around the main content area.

I'd scoot your class info to the right just a touch, so it's left edge aligns with the left edge of your content box on your computer layout.

Your second design is much more geometric and dependent on alignments and spacing which it uses well. I especially like your logo on this one. The way you tie the loop of the "z" into your diamond completes the whole thing and adds a layer of visual complexity that really strengthens the whole logo. I also like the diagonal cuts throughout your design. They add visual interest and create margin for your diamond logo. The Justin Maller background actually works better here because it plays off of the diagonal cuts in your content area. You've created a nice little framing device for your design by including a footer. It's a good place to stick the class info. As with your first design, the color game is on point with this one. So is the typography. I like the way the script works in your logo and for your title.

Scoot your class info to the left a bit so it's right edge matches the right edge of your bodycopy. Push out your diagonal cut on the upper left corner of your content area just a bit so that it matches the angle of the diagonal cut in your nav bar. That will create an invisible line running diagonally from the middle of the nav bar down across the left edge of your content area. It will also even out the margin around your logo.

That third design is softer, not necessarily in terms of layout, but definitely in color and design. Your pastel colors serve to make this a calmer web page and yet, it's probably the design that best uses contrast in this set of three. I think it's the Polariod photo, plus the bright white logo type that really jumps out and makes it work. You've used the same typeface set from the other designs and it works just as well here. I like the extra contrast in your top navigation too. The flowers add a great little design touch. Their extra colors broaden the color palette of the design and add focal points to move the eye around the layout. I like what they do to your diamond logo.

Watch your margins on your footers on the mobile version. The social media one in particular is a little tight at the top and bottom. I think you can also tighten up the top margin on the top navigation on your mobile design.

Fantastic work! I'm curious which design you'll choose.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

themeg98

Post by themeg98 »

These are off to a fantastic start. Low key jealous. I really like the geometric background on the first set of roughs. your color choices on both are very good. I also applaud you for choosing to use your own photo in your designs.
Megan Horner
"Stay made of Lightning"

raton de biblioteca

Post by raton de biblioteca »

Hi Evelyn,

Seriously, love all of the designs! I am starting to love the idea of the busy background of colorful triangles against the transparent window it is a great and really professional looking idea for interaction. So the improvement point, use the preposition in my spare time and not on my spare time. Not much else to comment on, they are all really great. The enclosures, the text alignments, and the image alignments are all wonderful choices!

Best,

Rachel
Rachel Cao
We are all just having too much fun ;)

hiitsyuri24

Post by hiitsyuri24 »

Hi! Your designs are look so good! I really like your colors. They are so perfect. I do not know what to suggest, but I suggest to play because colors (because I just want to see how you use different colors). Great job!
Yuri Aoki

anayaestevan

Post by anayaestevan »

Hey Evelyn,

These are all great! Font choices and color work well together and I get a feel of your personality. I love the way your use of shapes and negative space in the second layout, however, I like the first one the most.

I would just make the navigation and body copy a bit bigger. Be careful about things getting lost in all that color. Keep up the good work.
Estevan Anaya