Project One Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
hmayooo

Re: Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by hmayooo »

I think the first design here is really interesting and creative! Love the mountains in the background, and the use of diagonal shapes is cool. I do think that you could get rid of the black stroke you have around those white shapes. I think it could make the whole thing look a little more streamlined; right now it looks a little awkward and heavy next to the organic shapes of the mountains and your minimalist color choices. But that also could be a design choice! The layout of the second design is nice and clean, but again with the black strokes, I think the design could stand without them. Overall I definitely like the first design the best!
~Hayley Mayo~

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by Instructor »

You've got some interesting looks here, Cedar. I like your first one better. The geometry is fascinating.

The background image is great on this one. It instantly lends it gravitas and coolness. Your geometric cutouts over the top of the image to contain your content make for a visually interesting composition. They also do a great job of moving the eye around the layout and pointing the viewer where you want their eye to go. I also like the hard edges. They work well with the rock jutting out of the mountains in the background photo. Both the image and the black and white composition obviously have great contrast and use that contrast to highlight critical parts of the content. It makes for a great hierarchy. I like the look of the image showing through slots in your content areas.

I'd probably ditch the serif type and use different weights of the sans-serif type you used in your title for the nav and bodycopy types. Make sure to vertically center your type in your black button bars. I'd recommend a smaller sans-serif type justified in a nice paragraph block for your bodycopy.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173