Project 1 Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
SkellyboneJones

Project 1 Prelim

Post by SkellyboneJones »

Heya, here they are. I like the more colorful one personally, especially as it jives with the style of my illustration, but I still have more ideas on it. The darker scheme I liked better in idea than in execution, as the transition from Web and Mobile makes the whole thing feel not very cohesive. Oh well.
Webhome_Rough1_Web.png
Webhome_Rough1_Mobile.png
Webhome_Rough2_Web.png
Webhome_Rough2_Mobile.png

Inspiration Links:
http://www.rleonardi.com/
I really enjoyed this site, especially its splashy use of color and high contrast.
http://y78.fr/
This portfolio's use of dark color and graphical texture is really cool. I'm a big fan of the overall muted design.

Reference Links:
http://undsgn.com/creating-a-portfolio- ... -it-right/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jSBZw3ir7A
This is Trevor. So if you don't know, now you know.

missStormy

Re: Project 1 Prelim

Post by missStormy »

Hello

I agree that I like the color scheme of the first two rough drafts than the other two. What you need to do to fix the mobile version of the first draft is to incorporate or use the mobile design from the second draft. Its more organized and I think you just need to change the color scheme and change the background shape from that square gradient to the curved shaped in your first design. Other than that, it looks good.

Stormy
Last edited by missStormy on Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy

meekster_

Post by meekster_ »

definitely an interesting take !! haha. I like the colors you chose for the first roughs I also like the negative space look you created with the shapes and their colors. personally, I think it looks more like something you would print over a webpage. and the second roughs are a bit too PC horror game looking. I like the layout of them but I would suggest adding some color and changing the blocky-ness of the buttons!
~Mika Miller~

CedarM

Post by CedarM »

Love this idea, you made me wish I thought of something like this. Both designs are great but I think the color version is a much stronger sight. You have so much detail in the self portrait I think it looks a lot better with the colors.
- Cedar Moosmuller

suiish

Post by suiish »

Your portrait of yourself looks super cool!! I really like the layout of your design, but the bottom text on your mobile version is a bit hard to read. Otherwise your designs look really good!
This is Briana Flores, in case you forgot! :D

JamesC46

Post by JamesC46 »

Very cool designs! I like the look of your first design, but I think your second design has a better user experience in terms of navigation.

Thanks for sharing!
James Chumpol

sndbox

Post by sndbox »

I think the purple and white website is a lot stronger than the greyscale version, however the phone size of the purple design seems as if it's just a stretched version. The phone version of the greyscale design is a little bit easier on the eye, so maybe you could add the purple and white colors into that design instead.
Sandra R.
san-druh

KJX

Post by KJX »

Hey! I love your character, brings lots of personal flavor to the site. Plus it's YOU. If there is another color besides the dark purple, test a few options.

-KJ

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Nice work there Trevor. I like your first one the best. It has more color and visual interest.

Cartoon you is a fun touch. I like how you've broken him out of his container a bit and how he overlaps the type on your mobile version. That adds a lot of visual interest. The purple color works really well with your cartoon and is dark enough to establish excellent contrast. Speaking of contrast, you make good use of it throughout this layout both to establish visual interest and to move the eye around. I like the placement of your navigation as well. It's easy to find and use. Good type choices too. The slab serif works well as a title/button/emphasis font and the sans-serif makes for a great bodycopy font.

Work on evening your edges out a bit. Move "AND I MAKE STUFF" to the left a bit so that it's the same distance from your diagonal line as your bodycopy. Move "HI, I'M TREVOR SIMON" to the left so it's the same distance to the diagonal line as the objects on the right. Vertically center your links in the white navigation are. Right now they're a little close to the top.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

These are both great. However the color versions stands out way more to me. I love the way the you've cut down the center with your diagonal line/contrast. I really like how you have your hat/elbow both sticking out of the 'frame' just slightly - bringing more depth. Really the only thing jumping out at me to consider tweaking on this one would be the size of the font on your buttons. I think the spacing works fine on the computer version, but to me it feels a little chunky/crowded on the mobile. Or maybe it just feels crowded to me since the edge of the elbow and the edge of those nav buttons are soooo close together at the buttons.
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg