Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
wilson_iii

Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by wilson_iii »

Team red or team blue?
http://www.internetarchaeology.org
Attachments
red about us mobile rough.png
Red about us desktop rough.png
Red homepage mobile rough.png
red homepage desktop rough.png
blue about us mobile rough.png
blue about us desktop rough.png
blue homepage mobile rough.png
blue homepage desktop rough.png

sndbox

Re: Project 3 Preliminary Critique

Post by sndbox »

You have good aspects to both designs.
I would say the Blue Web design is a little bit easier to navigate where all the information is. I would also say the same for the Red Phone design. Having the drop down menu for the Red Phone design makes it so the information can be front and center on the screen.
I would also say some of the text on the red color design is easier to read than some of the blue design (with the white text on that bright blue).
I would say if you could, combine them!
Sandra R.
san-druh

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hm. Both! Lol.

I like the layout of one and the color scheme of two. I'd recommend merging the two along those lines. I really like the skeuomorphism you have going on here. Lots of little shadows really give it depth and the blue, gray, and white of your second design brings the contrast out nicely. The rounded edge rectangles give it a feeling of a menu on a wall at a diner, which works for it. The clean typography works, especially given the subject matter. Your navigation is easy to see and use.

Whichever way you choose to go, the design will need more photos. Right now it's big blocks of color and walls of text. Break up your text a bit too. A few paragraph breaks will keep it from being a monotonous wall. I'd also recommend justifying your type. Watch the margin between your top button and the categories column top on your computer layout.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

missStormy

Post by missStormy »

Team blue would fit the technology theme better, and the layout is very organized and neat. It would be interesting to see what images you can incorporate. Just as long as it's not a overblown GIF like the original site.

Stormy
Stormy

JamesC46

Post by JamesC46 »

The navigation of the mobile designs can be small, but I like how every element has a designated area so they can be easily found and navigable. Thanks for sharing.
James Chumpol

suiish

Post by suiish »

I think the blue design fits better with the theme than the red design. The red chosen for the red design is a bit harsh, but the blue is very nice to look at and works well with the gray.
This is Briana Flores, in case you forgot! :D

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

I think both versions are very well organized and easy to navigate through. Between the two I find the blue design to be a little more visually interesting/engaging for me. I especially like the little text box/icon spaces you have in the 'news' section of the blue version.
With either version I think the "mission" text box could stand to be pulled in from the edges just slightly. This would make the text-lines slightly smaller and a little easier to read, while also leaving some breathing room/margins.
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

SkellyboneJones

Post by SkellyboneJones »

I love the visual style, lots of soft edges and small details! I just feel that in the red design those little touches don't stand out as much, where as in the blue design they pop better.
This is Trevor. So if you don't know, now you know.

KJX

Post by KJX »

Hey

I like you slide out menu. Very classic imagery which is perfect for your website. I also like the maroon/pink color background to change things up.

-KJ