prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
meekster_

prelim

Post by meekster_ »

these are super boring and I really don't like them, plz help :(
Attachments
p2_web2_page2.jpg
p2_web2.jpg
p2_mobile2_page2.jpg
p2_mobile2.jpg
p2_web_page2.jpg
p2_web.jpg
p2_mobile_page2.jpg
p2_mobile.jpg
~Mika Miller~

sndbox

Re: prelim

Post by sndbox »

I would say maybe ditch the gradient background, it may just be me, but I'd go with either an actual image of the art from the school, or even one of those school images that you found (similar to the design with the paper background), or a single colored background . Now, if you wanted to keep the gradient background, I would say add boxes/shapes that either extend off the page, or add a drop shadow or something of that nature to give it a tiny bit more depth. I will say the one with the crunched paper as the background is a tiny bit better, but I would lighten the opacity a little bit, if you did wanna use that one.

I would also limit the space between things too. Everything's a little far apart and looks like it all doesn't like each other :lol: don't be afraid to have things touch or layer over one another (like the header and the sidebar on the phone versions). [This could also be used with pictures where you have text over an image but there's a transparent box framing the text, or something of that nature].

I would also say, if you haven't thought about it, maybe add a gallery on the home page instead of it being a tab!

Play around with different fonts. The one you have is nice, but I'd maybe add 1-2 more and use them in certain areas (like the school name or the tab titles).

The blue is a nice color too, I think you could definitely use it, especially as a header and footer, I would also try using a black or white transparent box and do the text in blue maybe to just see how that looks.

Sorry for the long winded critique :lol: I think it has a lot of potential and can go a bunch of different directions!
Sandra R.
san-druh

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I think you have a good start with the crumpled paper design. The paper texture adds a great deal of visual interest and the blue header makes for a good framing device. The layout is simple and clean and makes for a good foundation to build on. Your navigation is easy to see and use. All your type is very legible.

If you want to jazz it up a little, I'd recommend looking at some art school websites. Research will really help you here. For starters, lighten the crumpled paper background a bit so you don't have to use those transparent blue boxes behind your text. Next I'd recommend upping the contrast a little, perhaps a black top bar with Yale's logo or the school of design crest. Make sure your navigation is wide enough so that every button is one line of type. And lastly; pictures Pictures, PICTURES. Pictures of art and the campus will go light-years toward livening up your layouts.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

missStormy

Post by missStormy »

I agree with Sandra that a image of the actual school would work better than the gradient. If your worried about it clashing with the image of the students or the text you can add a dark overlay to a photo background to have the content in front stick out. The crumpled page design clashes with the text boxes to much I think, the text and color look more professional while the background is a more stylized element.

Stormy
Stormy

JamesC46

Post by JamesC46 »

I would say to ditch the gradient and the crumpled paper texture as they look very rudimentary and says nothing about the school. School websites usually use images of the building itself, as well as using pictures of their alumni.

You will also have to watch your margins as there is too much odd spacing around each element. A visual balance needs to be established as a foundation of your site.

Try looking to different university websites, like UNR, to figure out what they do. You can make this work. Thanks for sharing.
James Chumpol

suiish

Post by suiish »

I like the first design better than the second design. I think the crumbled paper background is a bit distracting although I really like the texture it gives. The gradient in the background of the first design works well with the rest of the design.
This is Briana Flores, in case you forgot! :D

wilson_iii

Post by wilson_iii »

The crumbled up paper is the way to go. I think it could be miles better with a horizontal menu, with dropdowns if needed. There is a lot of potential here, good work!

Gr8K8

Post by Gr8K8 »

I really like the blues you used in your layouts. Between the two layouts I think I like placement of everything better in your 2nd version. Mainly because I feel like the sidebar navigation feels a little awkward in the first version. That may just be me though.

I agree with the ideas to implement more student art pictures to add more visual interest. Maybe you could make a cool headline for the "Yale school of art" with something like this or this using student art as the background?

Excited to see how it all comes together!
Kaitlin Wallberg

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarF06JKANg

SkellyboneJones

Post by SkellyboneJones »

I definitely prefer the crumpled paper aesthetic, and it feels really at-home with an art program. The main thing that throws me off is the placement of font in the header. The margins seem to be just a tad bit restricted compared to the rest of the design.
This is Trevor. So if you don't know, now you know.

KJX

Post by KJX »

Hey,

I like the first design. It gives a prestige feeling that represents Yale well.

-KJ