Project 1 Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
aka_fefi

Project 1 Prelim

Post by aka_fefi »

Hey all,

Here are the website that really inspired me, they're basically a ton of designer's personal websites in fun little listicles. Super helpful!

https://www.mockplus.com/blog/post/pers ... n-examples
https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/best ... l-websites
https://www.coburgbanks.co.uk/blog/frid ... -websites/
https://www.webhostingsecretrevealed.ne ... s-in-2013/

I think they all had some really great ideas for my website designs. From interactive resumes to general portfolios there were tons of options. They also had a lot of different ideas of how to use images in your website.

There's a few more details I think I want to add to my website but I'm pretty happy with how both of them turned out.
Attachments
project1_ssworking2_mobile.png
project1_ss_working2.png
project1_ssworking1_mobile.png
project1_ssworking1.png
Stephanie Serpa

Everything I know about web design is from ~*myspace*~

kendall_the_mann

Re: Project 1 Prelim

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hi Stephanie!

Holy crap I love the contract between these two designs!! The first set is so personal and the second is super professional! I honestly can't choose which design I love more! I think you could definitely combine the two designs if you wanted to sort of have your cake and eat it too. I think the layout of the second one is a little more unique, but the color design of the first is awesome!

Love, love, love the designs! I can't wait to see what you do with the final website : )
-Kendall Mann

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Nice layouts! I really like both of them. The top one is so creative and colorful. I like the second one because you highlight Reno in it. They are both very easy to follow. I think I like the first design because they are all basically my favorite colors. I would say that the text that portion that describes yourself is a little hard to read. Maybe try playing with a little bit bolder font. I can't wait how your final turns out. Good job!
:) KATHY RUECKL

IzzyB

Post by IzzyB »

Hi Stephanie!

The first design of the website seems more personal while the second design seems more professional. I like both for those exact reasons. If you went with the first design, I would change your paragraph font. I think it looks too boxy while the rest of your design is more free-flowing and creative. I would also make it a bit smaller so it fits in the scribble better, same with the projects tab. Though the font on that is fine. I think the gold with the watercolor background actually fit really well, even though it is a strange combination.

If you went with the second design I would change the "I'm Stephanie" as it doesn't go with the layout. The pink you chose go together with the background like PB and J. Same with the HI and the body type. I think you just need to change what I mentioned and it will be perfect. Overall I like how different both designs are and I can't wait to see which one you choose! :lol:
Isabelle Bento (the person with the basic anime girl hair cut) UwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

dearangela

Post by dearangela »

Hi Stephanie,

I like the range of ideas you have for both of your compositions! I love the color and uplifting feel with your first, and your structured composition of your second. Would you be open to combining the two? They are both fun and informative to look at! For your second composition, I would maybe try putting the paragraph to justify with the last line assign center so it might not have little spaces after every line of text? I think it would make it even, I'm excited to see what you have next!
angela_gutierrezgapuz

comicsansfanclub

Post by comicsansfanclub »

Hi Stephanie,
I agree with the first comment. I also think you could combine both of the designs. I really like how the first one is so personalized, while the other one is super clean and professional looking. Maybe you could add the picture of yourself that you used for your first design and put it on the second design? I think that might look nice! nice job!
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*Hazzie Castaneda*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Anayik

Post by Anayik »

Hi Stephanie,

I really enjoy your first concept with the painted look. It's unique and fun and I also really like your use of the gold framing in there. I wouldn't have thought to use gold in that color scheme but it works really well. I wonder if you had your "hello" in gold it might look a little more cohesive with the rest of your design? Or maybe instead of hello, your name there instead might really brand it as your own. Very cool with the black paint smudges as text boxes
Kiana Bohm

Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi Stephanie,
Love both of your website designs! I don't know if it was intentional or not, but I like how your second mobile design looks like Nevada (Shape). I really like the first design because of all the texture created by the background and it's more fun. The only thing I can think of changing in your first design is changing the color of the text with the class description to something that will be easily readable.
Kassandra Fuentes

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow! This is a talented class. Alrighty then, Stephanie. You are the second person I have encountered this critique who has two equally good designs. I love the complete contrast between the two of them. Pick whichever one speaks to you more.

Your first one is a fascinating blend between fine art and Art Deco. The geometry of the gold Art Deco frames really sets off the brushstroke and watercolor patterns you've established here. This design has such a fine sense of texture to it. I love the watercolor background. It adds so much visual interest to set the content off with. I also like the use of the brushstrokes to set off important content. The way the brushstrokes literally break out of the box behind your bodycopy is so strong. It speaks to the whole composition metaphorically breaking out of the box. Your brushstroke navigation is easy to see and use. Your colors are well selected too. They work well together and don't really clash at all which is surprising on a design this visually complex. It transitions well from computer to mobile.

I'd recommend enlarging the paintbrush bodycopy container slightly. Your bodycopy is getting a little close to the edge of the brushstrokes. Also, don't forget to vertically and horizontally center your text in your brushstroke project buttons. I'd also make sure those buttons share a baseline. I'd recommend adding just a little more leading in your boducopy.

Your second design is the complete opposite. It's a clean, geometric design that establishes what it's all about right away. The Nevada shaped photo is so strong. It immediately establishes a sense of local identity and makes for a visually interesting picture frame for a well chose photo of the Reno skyline and Sierras. It also helps move the eye through the design. Good color choices on this one. You basically sampled colors out of your image so the entire design reflects that. The layout is super easy to get through and everything seems well placed. The navigation is prominent and easy to see and use. The type is a very strong selection as well. I like how you mostly stuck to using different weights of one typeface. It makes the script "i'm stephanie" stand out that much more.

I don't know that the "i'm stephanie" text needs the outer glow. I think there's enough contrast there to make sure it's visible. Also, it's a little close to the image Nevada on your mobile layout, as is your bodycopy. Just a little more margin here on your mobile layout would make it feel a lot less cramped.

Excellent work! Truly excellent!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Stephanie,
I really like both of these designs and their layouts, both the Reno theme and water colors look really good. The only thing I would change is on the second layout and that is the "i'm stephanie" bit. I like the font that you use to make it stand out but I would consider to use capitals for the I & S rather than the all lower case, I think it looks good on your first layout with the single word "hello" but because the second feels more professional I would also use more proper grammar by putting capitals in the right areas. Overall, these are great designs and I can't wait to see your final design. :)
JacklynYamine