prelim project 04

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Olive

prelim project 04

Post by Olive »

Okay, so I'm not exactly happy with the type of the second website! But then again I'm not a fan of the color green either I really wish I went with a black color palette or at least muted the green. I'm planning to use a more pleasing green as the one I've used for my mobile design is too bright and eye-bleeding. I like the idea for a student work gallery and having social media cons but that feel more related to the school rather than the Graphics department. the overall layout is pretty simple and easy to read through imo.
Attachments
web02-1.jpg
web02.jpg
web01-1.jpg
web01.jpg
mobile02-2.jpg
mobile-02.jpg
mobile01-1.jpg
mobile01.jpg
\₍ᐢ•ﻌ•ᐢ₎*・゚。 Olivia Reyes ( ^..^)ノ

kmohara5190

Re: prelim project 04

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi Olive,
I think I like your second design the best, the navigation and more muted color scheme go well together! I might change the green color that is on top on the background to a shape more similar to TMCC so that it blends in more. Nice job!
Kierann O'Hara

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I concur with you, Olivia; TMCC's pea green is pretty darn awful. You don't necessarily need to use a ton of it in your designs.

On the other hand, the much more pleasant greens you selected for the background on your first design work really well. That design's my favorite. I especially like the background image. It looks like a shattered gradient. So geometric and so bright. Maybe a backlit shattered glass. Either way, it's a good look and immediately intriguing. I also like the way the design uses contrast especially between the bright white of your header, the black text within that header and the shattered green background behind it. Another good bit of contrast is the alternating black and white strokes on the student artwork. The Deco font you chose for your header and navigation is really working. It gives the whole thing kind of a retrofuture vibe which plays nicely with your shattered glass background. Because of that contrast, your navigation is easy to see and use.

Watch your left margin on your bodycopy on your mobile design. Also, line up your TMCC logo's left edge with the left edge of your bodycopy container. Heck, you could line up the left edge of your navigation text and your "GA&MT" text as well to create a nice invisible hard line down the left side of your mobile design. I don't think the marker font you're using for your bodycopy is really working that well. I think it's look better if it were a lighter version of your title and navigation font. Maybe try a bit of transparency on your bodycopy container as well. I'd narrow up your bodycopy container on your mobile layout as well, maybe as wide as your student images are in their mobile layout. Let that cool pattern show a bit more.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Hamistani

Post by Hamistani »

Hello Olivia,
I really like your first design! I love the kaleidoscope effect you have in the background. I also really like your student's work page. It's easy to read and navigate, and I like the fonts you chose. I would make the green muter, or change the color. Great job!
- Heather Amistani
Ehhh, What's up Doc? ;)

it's_crysta

Post by it's_crysta »

Hi Olivia, Your design with the yellow to green background is my favorite, for this project I feel like it's important to bring in other colors to compliment the green and the yellow looks really good. I do think you need a more legible font for your body copy though, the one you have now looks like it'll be hard to read for long periods of text. Great work!
it's Crysta (Clark)

i feel like i'm on neopets again

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Hi Olive,
I think your second design is my favorite. I like the the transparent box that you use to highlight your main text. I also like that you included a graphic of someone doing work in graphic design. The navigation is easy to read and easy to see at the top of the page. The colors are bright and really grab the viewers attention. I also like that you chose a different green than the regular light TMCC green. It makes it different. Nice job.
:) KATHY RUECKL

Mal-Festio

Post by Mal-Festio »

Hello Olivia,

Both of them look great. I think I prefer the the concept with the dark navigation better. I enjoy those illustrations that are on the side. I think I would stick to the green on your computer layouts.
Jordi Cruz Trujillo

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Ooh this is great Olivia. I love your design with the patterned background of various greens and yellows. The art work you have on the student work page is also really great, I LOVE that low-poly cat piece. While the TMCC green isn't always the best, you've done a great job in keeping the site along the lines of being green and having a fuller logo with the lizard on the homepage is all working really well. I do think that you should try a different sans-serif typeface for the body copy on the homepage, the current one isn't really fitting the overall feel and look of the website.
JacklynYamine

kendall_the_mann

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hi Olivia!

I agree, I think your first design is really good! I think the muted almost teal you use works really well and it's very easy on the eyes. I also just really like the layout of the first one. Really great designs!
-Kendall Mann

ItsAllisxn

Post by ItsAllisxn »

Hi Olivia,

Wow, absolutely LOVE the patterns you used for your designs. If you're not too sure about the green, a grayscale color palette would look absolutely amazing, and would do some great work with making your images pop. If you were to do this, I'd make your TMCC logo the green version just to get a hint of that green in there. Your layouts for the student work looks awesome and everything looks easy to navigate and translates well into your mobile version. I'm definitely leaning towards your first concept due to the cool background design and I just think everything is laid out super nicely. Super awesome job Olivia!
Allison Hartmann - Kachow 8-)