Project 4 Preliminary

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
kmohara5190

Project 4 Preliminary

Post by kmohara5190 »

Hi everyone,
I enjoyed making website designs for the TMCC website, but had a tough time with the color scheme. So, none of my designs are fine-tuned, and I am hoping to adjust some things for the final project. My first design I went with an easier to read, but less exciting layout that lists all the information. And for the second design I changed it up with the pictures and text to see how it looked, so there are more colors and shapes in these ones.
Attachments
picdes.1web1.png
picdes.1pho.1.png
picdes.1web2.png
picdes.1pho.2.png
picdes.2web1 copy.png
picdes.2pho.1.png
picdes.2web2.png
picdes.2pho.2.png
Kierann O'Hara

Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 4 Preliminary

Post by Instructor »

I'd say your first one is the better of the two, Kierann. It's very clean and professional looking. I especially like the identical depth header and footer. They make for a perfect framing device. They also make great areas for important information since they're so high contrast. It makse your navigation is easy to see and use. This whole design uses contrast pretty darn well, not just in the header and footer, but also through the content area as well. You've done a yeoman's job making TMCC's awful pea green work. It plays well with the pictures. One of the neat little touches is your occasional use of an orange accent color. It really stands out when you use it. Your images are well placed too. They reinforce your content and work well with your colors. They certainly do a good job of showing off the campus as well.

I do like your orange accent color. I wish you would use it in a few more places on your design. Don't center align your bodycopy, it makes it read odd. I'd recommend left aligning it and leaving center alignment for headlines, headers, drop quotes, and other pieces of type you want to highlight. Speaking of highlighted type, I'd recommend using a bolder type for your headlines and navigation. I think you can afford to shrink your footer type a bit too. That'll get you more margin. I'd also expand the little white outlined boxes around your Degree and Certificates type to give it a little bit of margin. You can also shrink your type slightly and get the same effect. Lastly I'd recommend showing some artwork and students working on computers in your stock photos. Show 'em what they'll be up to when they enroll.

Good effort!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Hamistani

Post by Hamistani »

Hello Kierann,
I really like the first design you have! It's very professional, easy to read/navigate, and the colors go well together. I also really like how you used pictures from TMCC on your website. Even though I really like your first website, I love the orange color you have on your second design. I would try to include this color somewhere in the first design. I would also left-align your body copy. Great job!
- Heather Amistani
Ehhh, What's up Doc? ;)

Anayik

Post by Anayik »

Hi hi,

I agree with Michael in that your first concept is laid out really nice, and the matching header and footer add some depth that I wouldn't expect. It looks cool. I also think that bringing in a little more of that fun orange, maybe just as accents, could really make things pop
Kiana Bohm

it's_crysta

Post by it's_crysta »

Hi Kierann, agreeing with others that your text should be aligned left, you should probably also get rid of the hyphens. I like the orange you added, it's nice not having the website be all white, black and green. Your layout is also really nice. Good work!
it's Crysta (Clark)

i feel like i'm on neopets again

jacklyn_yamine

Post by jacklyn_yamine »

Hi Kierann,
I like your first design, it's such a nice layout and is definitely easy to read. The orange color in the second is not working well with the green for me. I like your single image across the top with the smaller image next too your body copy. However, for the body copy, I would left-align/justify the content as well as making sure there are no hyphenations. For your Degrees and Certificates page there seems to be a slight white border around your text, if you plan of keeping that I think it could work but put some space between the border and the text and again I would left-align the text for the Outcomes section on the page.
JacklynYamine

Krueckl

Post by Krueckl »

Hi Kiernan,
I think you did a great job with both of your layouts. I really like the first one the best. The navigation is clear and simple. I also like the title of the page with the background green box. It highlights it well and is visually appealing. The information at the footer pops out behind the dark background and is also easy to read. I like the way you organized the boxes for the degrees and certificates page also. The green and white backgrounds help the readers eyes move easily from box to box because the colors highlight it. Nice job!
:) KATHY RUECKL

kendall_the_mann

Post by kendall_the_mann »

Hi Kierann!

I really like your first design! I think the black header and footer does better to keep the pages contained, and I like that you use the tmcc green in a lighter way with the body of your website as compared to the borders of your second. Both of these are really cool layout wise though, awesome job!
-Kendall Mann

Mal-Festio

Post by Mal-Festio »

Hello Kierann

Both concepts look very good, I agree with the others in that the first one seems the strongest. I really like the checkered grid on the degrees and certificates page, but I'd probably get rid of that white stoke box in your green square that surrounds the text.
Jordi Cruz Trujillo

ItsAllisxn

Post by ItsAllisxn »

Hi Kierann,

Out of your two concepts, I'm leaning towards your first one. It's very clean and easy to navigate, and definitely looks like it belongs to TMCC with the color choices and all. I like the subtle border with the gray box and the white background. Your design also translates well into your mobile design, and I like how you added social media handles at the bottom. I think that the text for the footer may need to be a bit smaller because I feel that it's competing with the body text right now. Other than that, great job!
Allison Hartmann - Kachow 8-)