project_1_home page

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
KKentera_5000

project_1_home page

Post by KKentera_5000 »

Hello, I'm Kevin, I'm leaning toward the one with the pink stripes, although my color scheme may be detestable to some. Color is something I'm experimenting with and I definitely like the fact that we can make changes to the page as time goes on. I think my page has kind of a lighthearted feel to it. I solved the problem by using some visual hierarchy to let the user know what the page is gonna be about. I was able to use some artsy decor fonts while keeping it legible. I feel that the stripes give it sort of a carnival or barbershop quartet type of feel. I threw in the lil' pop art piece that I created in AI earlier this week to hint at my leanings toward the obscure. looking forward to checking your guys' work out! Thx in advance for feedback, God knows I need it.

https://www.behance.net/-I like the myriad of categories and trends that are spotlighted on this website.
http://www.creativebloq.com/-I have recently discovered the many tutorials this website has. It is very informative on a wide variety of topics.
Attachments
175proj_1_rough2.tif
175project_1_123456.tif
Kevin Kentera

erose

Re: project_1_home page

Post by erose »

Hi Kevin:

I like to colors in the one with the pink stripes. Maybe some FX on the text in your header to make the dark on dark colors stand out better. I do like the light color of the TMCC against the lighter background at the bottom of the page. Usually I would say to avoid that, but on your page and the way you designed it, I like it the way it is.

michelek

Post by michelek »

Hi Kevin,

I like the one with the pink stripes the best. I like the tmcc logo placement in the lower right corner. I think the grc text gets a little lost with the background. Not sure about the other layout; I seem to just look at the color green.
Michele K Ott

Stephski

Post by Stephski »

Hi Kevin,

The first design is great, I like the simplicity of it and the color of your background! Will the artsy fonts remain that way for your navigation? Even though it looks cool, I thing the navigation is the one element that needs to be clear and straightforward. That is the only thing I would change for that design.
When it comes to the second one, I think the colors are very interesting, they really stand out! Again, I think I would only change the navigation and at least put some text along those symbols.
- Stephanie Kendziorski.

EduardoG

Post by EduardoG »

Hi Kevin,
my suggestion is to go with the "project_1_123456" design as it has a better hierarchy, in my opinion.
A suggestion for the design is to make the website height size longer to fit the paragraph texts together and have the four head image a bit bigger to place side by side the paragraph text. Also, have the TMCC logo and email at the very bottom, rather than being very close to the text and four heads image.
- Eduardo Garcia

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hm. I like your first design better. The pink and red chaos of the second design is just too clashy. I have trouble reading the bodycopy or seeing much of anything in it.

The simplicity of your first design is a good starting point. It's a clean layout that uses TMCC's ugly colors rather well actually. The photos are prominent and tell an interesting story. Your navigation is large and easy to find. I like your cursive script type for your bodycopy. I think it's an interesting choice to go with and will help with the story the images are trying to convey. Once the strokes are gone, it actually has very good margins. Everything's pretty well placed and is close enough to establish unity while giving each other a wide berth. It has the artistic whitespace of a minimalist design.

Not everything needs to explicitly be in boxes in web design. I'd yank all the strokes out, from the header, from the bodycopy, from your nav buttons, etc. I'd also label your navigation. Icons only navigations can cause user problems. I'd also chop the white edges out of your photos as well. Might I also recommend some subtle dropshadows, glows, and textures to add a little more visual interest. Here's some ideas in that direction.

Nice effort!

BTW, I'd recommend not using TIFFs for critique design posting. They tend to give the forum heartburn and don't generate preview images.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

BreeAnn

Post by BreeAnn »

HI Kevin,

I like the pink stripe design better of the two. I think it's the vertical lines, and I'm really drawn to the font you're using for your name. Michael commented on how the colors are too chaotic, and you might be able to calm that down a bit by changing the tints and shades of the offending colors. I'd also like to see the writing all together, maybe make it smaller so it all fits in one place?

I like parts of the green design as well. I like that you used an actual photo, and a Polaroid transfer.

Maybe you can combine aspects of both...
BreeAnn St.Onge

sarah.alvarado

Post by sarah.alvarado »

Hello Kevin,
I am drawn to your second design more so than the first. Your color choices for the background are nice however the color of the font makes the words a bit hard to read. I would suggest darkening the text and looking for a color that contrasts a bit better. Your font choices are nice but don't fit together very well. I would say you should keep the font on the top and look for a slimmer, blockier sans serif font for the body text that doesn't contrast with the fonts used in your name so much. Really nice job so far and I can't wait to see more.
Sarah Alvarado

"Always speak politely to an enraged dragon" - Steven Brust

IvorHarvey

Post by IvorHarvey »

For both of the designs I feel like it's hard to read your body copy and text against the background (for the red design). I would suggest using a fill on the box or using a fill and having it somewhat transparent if you still want to the background image to show. I like the font choice on the header of "175project_1_123456" (red one) better than the one on the green design, but the font used for the body copy doesn't really connect. Maybe a more "basic" text for the body copy? But I do enjoy the picture in the green design! :lol:

-Ivor
Ivor Harvey