Some Roughs for Consideration

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
ashleighP

Some Roughs for Consideration

Post by ashleighP »

Hey Class Peeps,

Just some roughs for your creative opinions.
Feel free to rip them apart.

I've been using the city scene just because that is a not-so-secret desire of mine, is to live in a big city and be part of that whole scene. I feel it reflects in two of my roughs. The other one is simply Tim Burton-y because I love the dark, yet softer side of that whole grunginess. I'm not crazy about the font on that one, but I'm sure if that is the one I go with, I can always modify it.

Enjoy! :D

Ashleigh Porterfield
GRC 175 - Fall 2011

brienicole

Re: Some Roughs for Consideration

Post by brienicole »

She cant seem to post it right..so Ill fix that.hehehehehe
~Brianne Porterfield
"What a crazy random happenstance!"

ashleighP

Post by ashleighP »

Thank you a bunch Brie :D
Ashleigh Porterfield
GRC 175 - Fall 2011

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

also I would talk about where you will put your body copy. and My favorite is the first one. You could make black boxes appear in there that would work well! Maybe make the bottom half turn black and put body in there...??
~Brianne Porterfield

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

or ineractivity?
~Brianne Porterfield

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ah, another good batch! Here's my 'pinion, whether you like it or not.

Design One: Excellent use of contrast and color to create a really striking design. The navigation is really easy to visualize and use. The pattern adds a David Carson grunge to it as well. Very good feel. In terms of representing you, it says you're edgy and urban. My only critique is that I'm not sure where your content is going to go, but I think you can find a place.

Design Two: Ooooh, a nifty little gothic design. Very Tim Burton, as you noted. Another good use of contrast to highlight your navigation. The texture and grays give it a dark, detailed, funerary atmosphere. Love the baroque, Edwardian walpaper texture behind the striping. This one has the strongest navigation of all of them. Your name and the nav buttons punch right out at me. As with your first design, I'm not sure where you're going to put your copy ...

Design Three My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic goes to the Big City™. Of your designs, this one seems to have the least ... character. I like the construction paper look and feel of the overall design and layout but the grunge city just clashes with the Saturday Morning Cartoon ethic of the rest of it. I also loose the navigation a bit in the grassy knoll on the bottom. If you pulled the city out and remade it in construction paper, South Park style, it'd work. Good idea. Needs tweaking.

In my opinion, discard number three and concentrate on the first two. They've both got a lot going for them. The third has a good foundation, but needs more work. All of them are well executed and can be used for future projects down the line.

Good work on all three.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ashleighP

Post by ashleighP »

I was thinking of maybe doing a disjointed rollover for the first one, when you hover over project one or a link, a black box pops out of the bar or something and displays body copy.

I will definitely tweak them and work out the kinks, but thank you for your quick reply! :D
Ashleigh Porterfield
GRC 175 - Fall 2011

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

No problem! I'm just watching football and checking what my crazed students are up to 8-)

I probably won't demonstrate disjointed rollovers before this project is due, but if you would like to tackle 'em, there's plenty of resources on teh interwebz on how to do it. Depending on who you talk to there's half a dozen ways of doing them that are all equally correct.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

olddragon

Post by olddragon »

I am drawn to number too... one feels a bit distant with the far view of the city skyline... but two intrigues and makes me want to click. Just my reaction. Two really looks fantastic to me.
Arlene Williams
Old dragons get tired but they can still flame. Beware!

brienicole

Post by brienicole »

she asked me to post
~Brianne Porterfield