project 1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
ElizabethBrass

project 1

Post by ElizabethBrass »

For the first one I wanted to keep it clean and simple but still show my personality. I don't know if we're allowed to put images from the internet so if not I will have to change that one.
For the second one I chose a photo of lake Tahoe for my background because I have actually gone up there to get design ideas. I wanted to display my love for the outdoors in my design.

Any suggestions you all could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I found this website and it inspired me. It's very clean and simple and lets the artists work speak for itself.
http://www.loveliesbylt.com/#howpage

I love the interactivity of this site. Its a very creative site. It makes me wonder how its made?
http://gardenestudio.com.br/en
Attachments
rough_2_v1.jpg
rough_1_v2.jpg
Elizabeth_Brass

dboudinot

Re: project 1

Post by dboudinot »

I really love both of your designs Elizabeth, but I think the you should go with the first one because it does read more "graphic artist" than the second one. Your ability to produce clean concise layouts always amazes me, and your use of color is great. These are both really inspirational designs.

The only thing I might change is making the pink in the bike match the pink in your top bar.
Last edited by dboudinot on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominique Boudinot

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Elizabeth,
Great job on your project one roughs.
I visually like the placement and structure with the clean lines of your project 2 rough however, I think the first rough does a better job of displaying your artistic side and the influences you have. If you have more personal artwork to display I think that could demonstrate your abilities as a designer and reflect who you are. Lake Tahoe is beautiful but what does it say about you?
The first rough is the one I would take further.
Good job.

Sierragirlnv

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Hi, Elizabeth!

These are both very wonderful, and I really appreciate how clean and organized they are. Your bicycle illustration in the top layout is great, I like how stylized it is, and the photo on the bottom layout is so calming. As far as my preference goes, I think you should go with the top layout. Visually, it's more interactive, but more so than that, the top layout really feels like it represents you. As far as any pointers I have, maybe just increase the image sizes to utilize more of that negative space, and perhaps play around with your font choices for the body text and buttons.
a s h l e y c h i s a m

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Elizabeth!
You are so talented! Both of your roughs are good. I like the image and colors of rough1 but rough 2 is you! The images that you chose are great representations of the artists who have influenced you, but I think you should use your own work showing that influence. Your art is great! I agree that the images should be a little bigger.
PaulaBurris

rrodriguez

Post by rrodriguez »

Elizabeth,

I'm a sucker for a big image. They seem to bring you right into the landscape. And you do a great job of doing that here. But I'd have to go with the rest of the group and pick the layout with the bicycle logo and photos. It's easier to read and the navigation is straight to the point. I almost get a sense the image layout feels as if maybe your a photographer/designer. And I like the white space in the bicycle logo/photos layout also. My only suggestion for bicycle logo/photos layout would be making your name more bold? I'm sure you picked the font for a reason, but from a visitor just viewing for the first time, it's difficult to read.
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Elizabeth,
WOW I love both of your designs!! You did an awesome job with your color schemes, fonts, images, layout, etc. I'm leaning more towards your rough #2, as well. I agree with the group that it shows more of your personality and artistic talent. The image of Tahoe is gorgeous and it looks great with the color scheme that you created, the font hierarchy is balanced but it doesn't show your personality like the other one does. I agree with Paula, about the images. I think that it is nice to show who inspires you but if you have artistic talents of your own then you should definitely show it off for sure. My last suggestion is to make the images bigger and justify your content to the left to where it evenly lines up with your two project buttons.
Danielle Record

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Got a nice set of layouts here.

I prefer the first design to the second. It's a clean little layout that uses contrast effectively and presents it's information without dominating it. I like the idea of the accent color though I'm not totally sold on the multiple accent colors. I like the bodycopy and image placement. I think this layout is a great foundation to build something awesome.

I really like the wispy little bicycle logo. So much so that I think you should research the use of subtle patterns on websites and use some of the patterning from the bikes tires elsewhere in the site. Maybe even some of the cobwebs from the font. Maybe look at using some subtle shadows as well. I would also pick an accent color and stick with it. I think the violet, pink, and magenta clash a bit (Spoiler alert: try the magenta and work down if it's too strong). You also need to enlarge your navigation text quite a bit so it's more legible.

You've got yourself a great foundation here. Now it's time to build an awesome little house on it!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

mlauc

Post by mlauc »

Hi Elizabeth,

Great job on both layouts. I'm interested most the in the first comp, it's clean and easy to navigate and I really like the stylized bicycle as your logo— it draws me into the design and makes me want to know more about your you as a designer. The second one seems to say "photographer's website."
Matthew

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Both of these layouts are beautiful, Elizabeth. They're both distinct and off to a great start with the composition, and the color schemes really catch the eye and provide a calm mood while still being vibrant and eye-catching. I'm leaning toward the second one, though that might be because the color scheme is made up of some of my favorite colors, but the first one is also a great start and seems to be more personal. However, it seems a bit flat as it is, so maybe try doing something with the project buttons that would better match the skewed images you have on there.

Really looking forward to what you come up with next!
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied