Roughs for Project 1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
TsukimizuDC

Roughs for Project 1

Post by TsukimizuDC »

Hey guys, here is my roughs for project 1. I hand-drew these roughs.

Top Rough:
For this rough, I wanted to display the flow of each one of the items on a horizontal field. Also, having the image in the center of the page.

Bottom Rough:
For this rough, I wanted to display the flow of the water by setting each of the items in the motion that the viewer can see it.

Most of the colors that I used are yellow and blues. I even added some gray, green, and red. The typeface that I used for most of these roughs is called Yataghan. I also used Times New Roman for the about section of the roughs.
Attachments
tsukimizu_cosplay_rough2a.jpg
tsukimizu_cosplay_rough1a.jpg
Dalanie "Tsukimizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer

TsukimizuDC

Re: Roughs for Project 1

Post by TsukimizuDC »

I almost forgot! The websites that inspired me to make these roughs are a couple of cosplayers that I have been following. Yaya Han and Mel Hope (windofthestars). The websites that I found useful was an article about web design on smashing magazine. The other useful website that I found was webdesign.about.com.

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Dalanie,
That must have taken a while to cut and color all of your designs. I think the one I am leaning towards is the first layout however I would lose the project buttons you put around your image and only use the navigation bar. The reason I am leaning towards the first is I think there is better continuity in your first layout with the image, etc.
I think the second layout has too many different elements that may not be harmonizing your idea. If you wanted to use your second layout I would line up your boxes and not stagger them on top of each other.
Great job.

Sierragirlnv

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hey, Dalanie

Your love of cosplay definitely comes through in both of your designs.

For rough 1, I like how you pulled the eye to your photo with the yellow background creating a hierarchy, but I would probably choose a consistent alignment for the buttons to make the layout a little cleaner.

For rough 2, I like the way buttons overlap your photo to creates a sense of depth, it definitely adds interest, but I would try to create a little more unity in the bottom three items just to help improve the overall balance of the page.
Dominique Boudinot

TsukimizuDC

Post by TsukimizuDC »

Trust me when I say this, it took me all night before I had to head up to the college last Thursday.

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Dalanie! (a.k.a. Chelsey)
I still like rough1 the best. I love the header. Everything is well placed, clean and easy to follow. The navigation bar looks very crowded. Not sure if that is intentional or not, you might consider making it a little longer to give the words a little space. Nice photo of you too. Also, all of your headlines seem to be the same size, I see no hierarchy. Rough2 is hard to follow. The background of your image is very distracting. Maybe you could Photoshop a solid color or blur it around you.
PaulaBurris

rrodriguez

Post by rrodriguez »

Dalanie,

I'd have to go with layout 2. The links on the top make navigation easy and quick to understand. I like the photo of you standing posing. I'm thinking maybe cut the background out and have your body more bigger. It would really draw attention and be more interactive for the viewer. The color and type choices - I get a feeling of playful and fun. This works well with the photo. Layout 1 have similar elements as layout 2 just placed differently. My only suggestion for layout 2 would be maybe feather the box that holds your paragraph contenting info about yourself. The edges are hard while the rest of the layout is more soft and free flowing.
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

ElizabethBrass

Post by ElizabethBrass »

Hi Dalanie,

I like your color choices in both your layouts. they are very complementary of each other and of the theme of your site. instead of having the GRC 175 all squished up in a box, try spreading it out on one line along with fall 2014.
Elizabeth_Brass

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Heh. I actually like the ransom letter patchwork quality of these roughs. Maybe bring that through into the final design.

I like the second design a bit better. I think it's a better frame for your picture and info and it feels a little more navigationally organized. The blue and yellow work well together. The top bar is a fun logo and good summary of what the website is about. The navigation is usable, if a bit crunched. The project and resource buttons are well organized and easily used.

On the 'real" version of this design, expand the nav bar so it goes all the way across the top bar. That way the navigation buttons are more clickable. I'd also look into introducing more contrast into your design, both in the top bar/nav bar and in the project and resource buttons.

You got yourself a good start here.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

mlauc

Post by mlauc »

Hi Dalanie,

I like the 2nd comp— it's more organized and easier to visually navigate. I like the hand-drawn quality– I'm interested to see how your design evolves in photoshop.
Matthew