Project 1 roughs

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
mlauc

Project 1 roughs

Post by mlauc »

Design 1
I designed my portfolio site with a neutral color scheme to focus attention on projects. I created a logo to brand myself and to act as a link to my homepage. I wanted the intro to be brief but clear about who I am. The landscape photo helps to anchor the bottom of the page and to let the viewer know where I live.

Design 2
I wanted a vintage feel to the second website — I utilized a large image of metal type because I think it conveys craftsmanship and I also like the way it contrasts with the modern design. Links are placed top left for users to easily find. I added social networking sites to encourage visibility of my site.

Inspirational sites:

castirondesign.com
The site’s friendly look and ease of navigation invites the viewer to explore their work. The name implies efficiency and functionality — characteristics reflected in their design work.

rideforthebrand.net
Creative, typographic approach with a strong retro feel. I like the horizontal flow — very unexpected. Interface adapts to a variety of devices. The about section is a fun surprise with animated eyes reinforcing the creativity of the agency.
Attachments
ML_Project1_version1.jpg
ML_Project1_version2.jpg
Matthew

Sierragirlnv

Re: Project 1 roughs

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Marc,
I really enjoyed your project one roughs. I particularly like the clip art that you used. A great use of space and you went a step further to actually render it as a use able website with the Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest Icons.
I see a lot of masculinity in both of your designs with the colors you chose. I like the logo you designed in the first layout and particularly enjoyed the photo you included it gave your website a location that brings a local flare to your layout.
I am more visually attracted to the second rough as it demonstrates the sense of balance and communicates the idea a little better. However whichever you choose to go with you have a great eye for layout and use of space.
If I was to give any criticism I would say go with a different color choice to bring a wider audience to your designs. As a female I feel a little isolated from the masculinity of it. (If that makes any sense)
Great job overall.

Thanks,

Sierragirlnv

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Wow, beautiful work! There are so many elements that I like! When I look at the first rough, I think "Lawyer", even though I like the image. Consequently, I am more comfortable with the second rough. I think it's the rich, brown texture that you used that makes me think that way. The second rough feels more inviting to me.
PaulaBurris

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

Hi Matt,
I love your roughs! The first one is more appealing to me simply because the drawn I live here arrow. Very clever and playful, but very clean and thoughtful. Both are very good. I like the contrast between the wood and the black and white image. The old type face letters in the second layout is also very clever. I prefer the first one. In both I would flow the words differently. leaving passion for quality at the bottom seems weird to me, but I am not the paragraph police.

See you Thursday!

Wendy

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hello Matt,

I think you did a good job on both roughs. I like the image and the center align on the top rough, but I'm not crazy about the wood grain texture top bar; I just don't think it quite fits the webpage.

The background image in the bottom rough is a little busy, but that actually doesn't take away from you content. I'm still drawn right toward the center of the page right to your text. I think I would go with the bottom rough because I like the connotation that comes with that image.

Your personality definitely shows in both designs.
Dominique Boudinot

ElizabethBrass

Post by ElizabethBrass »

Hi Matt,

wow, awesome roughs! I am leaning more toward the second one because I agree with Paula that the first one looks like a lawyer's site. I like the imagery of the second site.
Elizabeth_Brass

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Matt,
Great job on both designs! I think I like your second design more because the background image adds a unique & personal feel to your page and the layout is more inviting. I like that your name, title, & content about you are right in the middle of the page. One thing I would suggest is making you navigation type bigger or maybe add a background to it because I think the image hides it. I like your bottom portion with the class info. etc. on your first rough more than the second. I think it would look good if you swap them. I can't wait to see your final design!
Danielle Record

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow. Those are impressive. Although I'd expect nothing less from you, since you're this classes design ringer, Matt.

I'd say your in a situation like Kiwako. You have two awesome designs that are both easily usable to make an awesome website and neither is particularly better than the other.

Your first design is a super clean, easy to navigate, page that presents it's info and then gets out of the way. It's has a Mad Men, mid century modern quality to it while retaining a bit of artistic whimsey ("I live here"). I love the use of the wood texture, it lends it a touch of class. The typography is excellent, a fantastic example of the interplay between sans-serif type and serif type. The colors other than the wood grain compliment and highlight the design, rather than distract. And it all sits on a nice, clean, gray background.

The only thing I'd do is bring up the class info, logo, and contact info to lock 'em more tightly with the overall layout. Otherwise, excellent work.

The second design is a nifty blend between antique and modern. It's a thoroughly modern frame around an antique photo, exactly opposite of the first one. It too is very clean and easy to use, though the navigation is a bit out of the way. It functions as a nice frame for whatever information needs to be presented in it. The personal logo is framed beautifully in the center and the bodycopy is well spaced easy to read. I like the use of semi transparency on the bodycopy container, and the use of high contrast throughout. More excellent typography as well with another great set of fonts. The accent colors once agin work well, also.

I'd move up the class info, logo, and contact info as with the first one and enlarge the navigation about two points. Otherwise, great.

So I leave it to you to decide, sir. These are both great, great designs.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Hi Marc,

Both of these designs are excellent and look darn professional. If I had to choose one however, I'd be leaning toward the first. The header really catches the eye, but so does your paragraph title. It does so without taking away too much focus from the header, which I assume is where you want your audience to look to first.

The second layout works just as well, but at first glance your navigation tends to be lost against your background image. If you could find a way to bring in focus more, it'd work just as well as the first layout.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

Hi Matt,

I really like both designs!
Especially, I like the wood texture and I live here design :)

Kiwako