project1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
kiwakom

project1

Post by kiwakom »

Rough1
I used the photo of my hometown because It emphasize my culture.
Then, I put black rectangle on the photo. The left side of the rectangle is my navigate bar.
I also used two photos which is my hobby. In the right side of the rectangle, i will put my logo(I'm still making it) and my name.

Rough2
I tried to design like Asian style. I used Japanese Paper, which is called Washi, for the background.
I also used the flood font because it looks like Japanese calligraphy. The photo is one of my hobby, hiking.

This is the links.http://www.jochemgugelot.nl/ http://www.h3ostudio.com/
These website's design is very clean, and it is very easy to find information. I also like the color choice.
Attachments
grc175_webdesign2.jpg
grc175_webdesign1.jpg

Sierragirlnv

Re: project1

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi kiwakom,
I enjoyed your project one rough layouts. At first I was leaning towards the white rough until I clicked on it and got a closer look at the textured back round you used. As neat of an idea you were tying in, it made me want to wipe my screen. Please don't take offense to that I just found the texture distracting from the design. I like the use of heritage and personal traits you used in your design.
Great job!

Sierragirlnv

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Kiwako!
I like both of your roughs. I really like the first rough the best. The image is beautiful and the placement of the box with your text is nice. Very classy! The white rough is a little heavy on the left side.
PaulaBurris

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

Hello Kiwako,
I really like both designs and how you integrated your culture with images that are from your view point and hometown. The image in the top rough draft is very pretty and although I like the white space surrounding the image because it gives it a clean look, I prefer the second rough draft where the image flushes out to all edges. You could put any of your images in the background, even have them rotating to showcase your work. I like the bar coming from the left because it gives an asymmetrical look, grounds the bottom of the page.

Ciao for now!

Wendy

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Hi Kiwako,

Both of your designs are looking very nice so far! There are things about both of your roughs that I enjoy.

The first is very nicely laid out. Everything has a nice amount of space around it, and I think the bar separating the navigation from the content was a good choice. I'm not sure if the sans serif typeface blends too well with the paintbrush style, though; a serif font might provide a little bit better contrast. I also think your introduction paragraph should be aligned to the left edge of the image, and the navigation buttons themselves need to be aligned to one edge, rather than centered. Right-aligned navigation might look nice.

I really like the imagery focus of the second design. However, I think the inside of the black box needs a bit more padding for the content inside of it. The text and images in the box seem a little low, too; maybe you could center those horizontally? The font you used for your name could also be used for the 'About Me' text, just to help unify the design.

Either rough you choose would be a good pick, but I think the second design seems a bit more personalized.
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi Kiwako,

I like the layout of the top rough a lot; the navigation is very clear, but I also wanted to clean my computer screen because of the speckles.

The image in the bottom rough is really cool, but if you go with that design I would work on the rest of the layout just to make sure the composition is balanced.
Dominique Boudinot

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ooof, now here's a textbook example of a good problem to have. Two equally excellent designs that could make two excellent websites. I like them both equally.

That first design is a super nice, clean layout, that's easy to use and functions as an excellent frame for the image and info. I like the use of the paper texture background to give just a little more warmth to the design, even if I thought my screen was dirty at first. It's well balanced and highlights just the right content to present.

The only tweaks I would make would be to move the bodycopy over to the left slightly to align with the left edge of the image. I's also look at justifying your bodycopy block to make a nice even shape.

The second one is a very strong photo presentation that has excellent contrast and presents it's information cleanly and efficiently. I like the large photo background and the muted contrast of the semi transparent information container. I like the multiple columns, they divide and categorize the information nicely. The navigation is quick and easy to see and use. And did I mention that photo looks awesome.

I can see just a couple of tweaks for this one. One, I'd move the navigation buttons a little bit closer to "About Me". Two, I would increase the leading on the bodycopy a bit to give it room to breathe. Three, I'd play with the font size in the bodycopy so it doesn't hyphenate words between line breaks. Other then that, it looks good.

So there you have it, Kiwako. You've got two great designs that can both work equally well. I leave the decision of which to use with you.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Kiwako,

Honestly both of your designs are beautiful, and I would be happy to see you continue with either one of them. The first one has a very organic feel to it, and I especially like the paper texture you've used for your background. If you better align your bodycopy with your image, I think you would be all right. Sometimes the elements seem to spaced out from one another, but that honestly isn't too big a problem.

The second layout has a very surreal feel to it, and I do like the column layout for your information. My suggestions would be to make the 'About Me' title a different font from the other links, and to just move everything up a bit since right now it seems like the content of your columns is leaning a little too close to the bottom. You've got some strong designs going on, and I say go with whichever one you prefer.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Kiwako,
You did an awesome job on these and I like both designs! I am leaning more towards your first rough because because it is balanced, inviting, easy to navigate, & I love the image of your hometown it is beautiful against the black background. I really like the black box on top of the image it seems like it is just floating there...very nice touch. One thing u should maybe consider is moving the about me title above your paragraph and maybe make your name larger and placing it at the top of the page so you can see it right when it is opened. I can't wait to see your final design!
Danielle Record

schakarun714

Post by schakarun714 »

Hi Kiwako, very cool designs i like how simple they are. I like both of them a lot i think if you took off the texture on the background of the first one and kept it white and then added the picture of the second layout but turned down the opacity to about 40-50 percent it would look really cool, just a thought :D
Shalie C. Forever Dreaming