Final Critique For Project One

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
georgia_novotny

Final Critique For Project One

Post by georgia_novotny »

Hello Everyone,
Thanks so much for your ideas on how to make my website layout more successful. I appreciate everyone’s input and made changes based on the feedback I got. I had a pretty good idea from the start, of what I wanted it to look like. Which is why both my ideas were very similar.

I went with the layout I thought had more expression and had more photos. I have taken over 15,000 photos so I wish I could add more but it would obviously blow some of my viewer’s minds! Lol I will have to work on simplicity with my designs for clients but since this site is for "me" I think the design I picked represents my personality more.

I changed the color of the fonts to a lighter hue from the original dark blue that I picked. I also changed the font style/family in the body area to be more readable. I got rid of almost all the blue frames and boxes. I decided to keep the blue frames around my navigation buttons/link area's to give them an area all their own. I think that made it also have different organized sections (The title section, the navigation section, the collaged photos section, the body section and the footer section of organized photos).

I also changed the size of the buttons to be larger and more readable. The title area was also enlarged. The class section area was changed slightly in that I changed T.M.C.C. to say the full college name. I added more space between the body text and the photos giving it “room to breath”. I also moved the photo collage up so that I could increase the size of the body text to be more legible. I wanted to do something with the title background like add a photo but couldn't find something that I liked and wouldn't take away from the readability of that area.

Thanks everyone for the comments and I really love hearing everyone liked my photos. I think that I solved the problem and created a homepage that looks good and effectively communicates my class information. I will make changes to it as the semester progresses I am sure.

Georgia Novotny
Attachments
grc175_project_one_website_final_critique_gan.jpg

paula_b

Re: Final Critique For Project One

Post by paula_b »

Hi Georgia!

A very serene layout. Removing the boxes made a great improvement! I think you should move the type back to it's original position, it feels a bit crowded at the top. The typeface you have chosen for the body is a lot easier to read. Consider giving that area a little more space as well. Nice work!
PaulaBurris

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Hey, Georgia!

This is a vast improvement from your first concept! Everything seems to be working better and your changing the colors and typeface of the body copy really served you well! I love the vividness of the imagery in your photographs, they leap off the page! Now the only gripe I can point out that was a bit bothersome to my OCD eye is that your credits are centered....and crammed in the upper left corner. In this instance, I would justify that text to the left instead of leaving it centered and call it good. Nice progress :)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Georgia,
I'm so glad that you chose this design! Like I said before I love how you have placed all of your gorgeous images in a collage sort of way. I love the blue color scheme for two reasons its my favorite colors and most of your images pop out at you that have blue in them. If that makes sense. The only thing is that I would have to agree with Paula that the top seems a little cluttered. My suggestion would be to center your name and title, make the top row of images a little smaller and then add your class info on the bottom. I think your other rough had a footer separator, basically like that is what I'm trying to say. Otherwise, very-very nice job! :)
Danielle Record

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

Georgia,
Looks good, the imagery is beautiful. The changes you made are working. The layout of the top images could be reworked a little.

wendy

mlauc

Post by mlauc »

Georgia,
Your beautiful photos naturally draw the viewer into your design. Overall, it feels a little crowded with the photos at the top. I suggest swapping placement of your name to the left corner and move GRC 175 to the right to give your name more importance.
Matthew

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Georgia! This is great! The changes you've made have improved the overall design significantly. Again, your photography is stunning, and I'm so happy you chose to display them as the main content. My only recommendations are to give the buttons a different background color other than black, to help them pop off more and make it easier to navigate, and also swap your name with the GRC 175 stuff, so that your name is the first detail the viewer's see. Good job!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

rrodriguez

Post by rrodriguez »

Georgia Anne Novotny…You got a lot of photos going on here. I like the splashes of exciting photos. The buttons and information on top work well, but it is a little hard to figure out where I'm going at first. My eye goes straight for t the photos and then finds the text to read. Maybe try to balance the photos and paragraph? But I do get the sense that your a photographer and designer pretty good. Cool stuff
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Georgia,

I like your photos they are very nice. I still feel it is a little over crowded. I would take the two overlapping photos down and move the TMCC info to the bottom to give higher importance to your name. Good job.

Sierragirlnv

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

Your photos are amazing!!!!
I totally understand you wish you could add more ,but as you wrote it would obviously blow some of my viewer’s minds a bit :(
So I think you should remove two photos ( mountain photo and sunset photo) from top.
Then put three photos with same size because left photo is bigger than other two photos.

Other than that, it's great!
Love your photos so much!!!!

Kiwako