Project 2 Preliminary Critique

This is an archive subforum of the previous version of Project Three. This is for inspiration only. DO NOT POST YOUR PROJECT THREES HERE.
hummela

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post by hummela »

I like your ideals the first layout is cute an fun i like how you have the bit when clicking on a tab, both layouts are working but i feel the second layout works better in a more professional clean way.
good job
Alexa Hummel :)

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

And another great pair of designs! Awesome.

I really think your second design is the stronger of the two. It has an upscale feel that really appeals to me. The first feels more like a college bar website.

The use of texture is just second to none on your second design (see what I did there?). I like how each column is a separate design ethic that all merge together to create one very interesting whole. The left column is clean and techy, the middle column is warm and cozy, and the third column is ritzy and glamorous. A really nice blend that works.

Because it's in the "techy" part, the navigation is easy to see and use.

Typographically the entire website works well. The handwriting on the home page is actually legible (amazing!) and the font on the inside conveys all the information you need without losing the homey warmth of the second column. Though you could add a touch more leading to it.

About the only other thing I can think to add is to look at what the inner pages might look like with different collage images in the right column. Otherwise, you're good to go on this one.

Bravo!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

old_man_pat

Post by old_man_pat »

As with your home page, I'm very much drawn to the aesthetic appeal of your second set of roughs. The color scheme, as matched with the spices in the picture work well. Did you take that?! Great picture. The wooden texture behind the sticky adds an interesting touch, and the cursive for the welcome content emphasizes family-owned. I also like the 'bracketed' logo with the heads of grain. Actually, while I like the idea of using a background image of ingredients, this look speaks of gourmet and exotic to me (which is probably why I like it!). Does the client promote gourmet pizza, pasta, sides, etc.? I couldn't quite see that in their menu layout. Perhaps you might consider images of the client's menu (as with the 1st set of roughs) against a background image of pizza ingredients, such as a rotating banner? Regardless, it's quite attractive.
Patrick Smith
“To find yourself, think for yourself.”
-Socrates

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

Great job on creating two very different websites! Even though I am a fan of the cut out paper look, the bottom website is gorgeous and makes me want to eat. It's warm, inviting, very creative and organized. Good job on that site!

wendy

gotsatisfaction247

Post by gotsatisfaction247 »

Wow, what a great change you page. I think there is no brainer wich one to pick the page2 looks amazing!!! Very creative idea, great image, great sticky note idea with the writing. I like everything about the site. there is nothing I would change. Very good start!!

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

*sigh*

Why, Ashley?! Haha you're making my already empty stomach growl even louder looking at these designs!

Anyway these are pretty flippin' great designs, both have a nice flow and easy navigation that will cater to users of all skill levels, which it seems, would just be hungry pizza-and-pasta patrons. Since they already both look solid and professional and super duper awesome, the only decision that needs to be made is what feel you wanna go for. The first layout speaks to me as a fun, family-oriented restaurant that's casual and someplace a family of four would hit up on a Wednesday night after soccer practice. The second layout seems to advertise a higher-end, gourmet restaurant that would attract the beatniks, hipsters, and foodies who troll the midtown district. If you haven't been to this restaurant, I'd head on over and check out the place, and see which of your designs is more appropriate in capturing the atmosphere of the eatery, just so hungry bipedals aren't surprised from their expectations. But yeh. Great job.

(I am so hungry rn wow)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Ashley,

I don't think that the first set of roughs is necessarily childish; I think if anything it looks more lighthearted, which I think is a good thing, unless it's meant to be a high class joint. When I think of pizza places I think of having a good time with friends or family, so the first designs work great to that idea. That's not to say that your second set isn't any good, because it definitely is. It's very clean and classy, but I think the boldest colors should be in your main image of the ingredients. I love the stacked look that's going on with each column though. Either design that you choose, I think it'll turn out great in the finals!
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

I love the paper cut out look, but the page 2 layout and images are so beautiful they should definitely be your final. Even though you don't see a pizza, the herbs are so appetizing. Good choices on the page 2 layout!

-wendy

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Hey Ashley,

First off, your layouts are making me very hungry so if that was your intent somewhere along the line, then you are certainly doing a good job of it. That said, both of these layouts are great and either one would work for a final product. Because they both cater to a different audience, it's hard to determine which one would be the better one to continue. My suggestion for the first one is to use a different font for the button type than you use for the logo.

Looking at it further, I'd suggest continuing with the second one. If you want to continue the playful feel, it really shouldn't be that difficult since it already has a sense of that. Great job on both of them.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I love your design 2!
That's looks amazing!!!!

You can play with the body copy font a little bit :)
Other than that, I really nothing to say!
Great Job!

Kiwako