Project 2 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 2 Prelim

Post by Instructor »

Hm. It's tough to give feedback on color and typography on these so I will stick with layout and throw some ideas around.

I think I prefer your first layout. Having all of the navigation at the top gives you a lot of room to play with the bottom composition (as you show in your inner page rough). I also like the logo on that version a little better. It has a touch of surrealism that seems to fit the ... er ... content on the former website.

I agree with your choice of pastel colors. That sort of color scheme serves well to establish a super clean kind of "50's kitchen" vibe that I think will really help sell these. You might even want to look at some subtle patterns in the background. Look up 50's wall papers and maybe use subtle versions of a few of those.

From what I can see, you're on the right track here. I wish I could offer more.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

old_man_pat

Post by old_man_pat »

Quite nice Justine! I feel the strongest part of the design is the logo with the 'roundabout' cupcake sleeve (particularly in rough #2). I also admire the ribbon-style banner for the navigation bar (particularly #1). Both fit with the business concept of cupcake containers that act as mini paper-promotions. I'd fly with #2 for a start, but they're both strong. Soft pastel colors are a great idea for this type of product. The color scheme that includes powdery blue sounds especially good, plus it brings to mind the lure of French pastries (at least to me!)..... I'm even getting hungry typing this. While I figure you'll do this anyway, here's a thought: the content within the layout for your commercial home page would benefit from having more product-related info (such as Roundabout's '3 Easy Steps', or highlighted products most sought) than just the paragraph and photograph (which works well for our portfolio sites). I look forward to seeing your design. :-)
Patrick Smith
“To find yourself, think for yourself.”
-Socrates

gotsatisfaction247

Post by gotsatisfaction247 »

I like your rought one desing, it is hard to coment right now, since there is no color or type font, but seems like you got a good idea for a start.

ElizabethBrass

Post by ElizabethBrass »

hey girl,

I think these are both going in a great direction! I like the top layout a better because it has a nice flow to it. And I like the softness of the corners, It adds a great touch. I can imagine The nice soft colors and fonts will bring it all together nicely.
Elizabeth_Brass

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Justine,

I feel right off the bat that the horizontal layouts are better. For the information you've presented on the home screen, I don't there would be any reason to have users scroll down. For the product page though, I think the design could stand to have at least one extra wrapper per row. Your logo idea for the horizontal design is genius by the way. Can't wait to see this in it's final website-y glory!
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Yep, these are definitely a step up from the purple and flash of the website, egad. That said, I'm favoring the rough of your first layout. The second one feels almost like a standard business website, and we want more than that! And while things could go wrong with polka-dots, I think you'll be able to wrangle them into your design nicely. I look forward to how your design will look in digital form!
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

I like the rough 1 design. It's more organized and easy to find information.
Btw, I like the product! That's so cute :)

Good job!

Kiwako