Elizabeth project 3 Roughs

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Elizabeth project 3 Roughs

Post by Instructor »

Oooooh. Geometric. Nifty!

Your first design ownzones your second design in my opinion. Though the inner page on your second design is pretty cool, with the fade out image. Hang on to that one and use it in other designs.

The first set, though, are excellent. I really like the full screen background photo with the column to contain your content. The black bars at the top and bottom act as an excellent framing and design continuity element. The navigation is large, high contrast, and easy to use and follow. The content is well placed and easy to read in it's white column. The headline is a massive (and very cool) example of graphic design in and of itself. The way it bleeds out of your white column and on to your background image is awesome. Such a great little touch.

Three quick suggestions. First, make sure the space between your navigation buttons is the same from button to button. Second, narrow the top bar. It doesn't need to be as thick as it is. Maybe make it the thickness of your bottom bar and seeing how that looks. Third, justify your bodycopy and instructor bios. You have such a great sense of geometry with your design that your type needs to reflect that.

Excellent work! I really want to see this as a live website now!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

schakarun714

Post by schakarun714 »

First set of layouts are awesome. dont change anything just go with that :D
Shalie C. Forever Dreaming

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

I'd go with your first design! I totally get what you were trying to accomplish with the second design, and it's really creative, but the first one just seems more like a website for promoting a graphic design program. The way you've organized the words 'graphic communications' is super creative and visually interesting. It's very clean and easy to sort your way around. The 'TMCC' typeface you used gets pretty overwhelmed, so maybe consider swapping that out. But overall, these will be great once they're done.
a s h l e y c h i s a m

hummela

Post by hummela »

Good Job!

I like both of them! :roll:
I like how you played with type on the one and i like your ideal for the roll over with the images..
mmh. im not sure but i think im gonna say the first one with the type. Good job
Alexa Hummel :)

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Hi Elizabeth,

My vote goes towards your first designs; with the column in the middle surrounded by images of the campus. That's a cool idea. I think the column is a little too small to fit enough content into especially if you have any long blocks of text, which would mean lots of scrolling. As a compromise, maybe you could widen the column out, but make it transparent, so at least you'll have more space to put images and text. Also, maybe switch out one of Brian's pictures on the instructors page with Michael? Or you could make every picture Brian and have descriptions for the other instructors.
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission