Preliminary Critique #1

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
daveryjones

Preliminary Critique #1

Post by daveryjones »

Good Evening classmates,

I have attached my roughs for the first project. Unfortunately, I had to make an abrupt exit from class on Monday due to a family emergency so I was not aware that we were to post this by midnight so here I am on Tuesday at 7:18pm writing this exasperated post. I put a lot of time and effort into my designs but have definitely picked a favorite. I will not tell you which one I have ultimately decided to push forward but I'm sure you can guess.

First and foremost:
I realize this project requires at least two links to websites that creatively inspire me so below are those links and my reasoning for choosing each.

http://www.chasedesigngroup.com/
The portfolio and website for Margo Chase. My hero. Her keen sense of design and ability to offer a custom typeface for each project she does is astounding. Not only do I enjoy the visual aesthetics of her website, I love all of her designs. My main interested in graphic design is branding so naturally, I find her to be a true inspiration.

https://www.spotify.com/us/
An inspiration for a multitude of reasons... My escape from life. The musical content is my interest but looking past that, I believe this website is beautifully designed. It's simplistic and colorful attitude is something to admire. Also, I think the functionality of this site deserves recognition.

Second:
We were also required to find two links to websites that provide useful information. I wasn't sure if this was pertaining to web site specifically so that is what I went for when finding these links.

http://www.awwwards.com/websites/portfolio/
http://designm.ag/designer-showcase/200 ... spiration/
Both of these sites provide a plethora of web designer portfolios. I find them useful because I can see different techniques in use and why they work.

Finally:
In relation to my rough drafts for my personal website, I decided to try two distinctly different layouts and themes. The first being bright, colorful, and a busy artistic view and the second being a solemn display of my personality. I find that the simple pop of my spot color on the grayscale background for my second background makes it visually appealing yet not too simplistic. I enjoy the preview of my illustrations on the first rough but find it to be busy and distracting. I would love to hear your feedback.

Have a great day!
Attachments
rough2_grc175_djones.png
rough1_grc175_djones.png
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

j.alexis93

Re: Preliminary Critique #1

Post by j.alexis93 »

I prefer the black and white one. I like how you played with the open space within your picture. The block of body type doesn't feel right to me. I think it would look better if the complete block of type was justified, but maybe that's what you were going for and you purposefully indented some parts.
ALEXIS ROSALES

NevadaCowgirl

Post by NevadaCowgirl »

I like the first rough. It is very easy to navigate. It would be interesting to have the different windows on the church be your navigation buttons.
Amy Zimmerman

japanese_panda

Post by japanese_panda »

I like first one. color scheme looks dark, but that is really cool.
I think the color and house represent calmness and clear design!

you can work with type more!
Yoshiki Katabami

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

I love the b/w one; it is very classy and easy to navigate, and I love the pop of color. The colors on the second one do not work with the background image, which makes it look busier than it actually is.
Jena Molina

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I like the first one. It looks balanced and layout is perfect. Also your signature makes the entire looking nice. The thing is that you can give "angle" to your type and shape. For example you can use italic for your type!
Natsuki Tonuma

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

I think the first one works very well and looks great. my only suggestion would be to lighten the font in the body copy. There are contrast issues.
-Warren Asher-

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Hm. I like your first design much more than your second. Your second is a chaotic mess in terms of layout, typography and color.

In contrast, your first design is a super clean layout that is easy to follow and guides my eye to the relevant information quickly. The black and white background image of the old church does most of the heavy lifting in terms of visual interest and adding feeling to the design. It projects a great sense of age and a bit of haunting mystery. It adds texture and contrast and allows the other elements to "pop" in the design. The top bar is, like the rest of the design, also large and easy to read. I like the accent shape and color as well. It serves to break the dreariness of the background image and add a bit of fun to the composition. Your picket fence navigation is also really strong. It's easy to read and use and perfectly compliments the american gothic ethic of your background picture.

I have two suggestions. One, make sure to use your accent color somewhere else in your design. My suggestion would be as a rollover color in your main navigation. Maybe something subtile like having the type change color. Two, make your white bottom bar a little taller to give your bottom text a bit more top and bottom margin. That will give them room to breathe.

Nice work! I look forward to seeing it as a real website.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

moserary

Post by moserary »

The first one is most eye-catching and is very sophisticated. The picket-fence links are a bit stark, could they be softened? The white for the signature and logo work because they are narrow. The very modern signature is a nice contrast to the nostalgic feel of the image.

nicolemae09

Post by nicolemae09 »

I really enjoy the first one listed. The black and white background gives a simple contemporary feel. The signature at the top is great, totally makes the site look professional. As for your body of text it kind of just looks thrown in there and its very small. I would say work on that part and see what more you can do with it. :)

-Ashley Anderson