project_one_roughs

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Game of Potters

Re: project_one_roughs

Post by Game of Potters »

I'm one of those people who would like to see you combine the two designs. I prefer the layout of the second black and white design, but I love the color and tropical appeal of the first one. If you brought in a pop of sunset color from the first one, into the darker designer, it might make something fantastic. I would shrink your logo down a little bit too, not much, but just enough so that if they open your site on your phone it doesn't take up the whole screen. I would maybe add a bit of an opacity to the background squares for your type, just to soften it into the flow of the design.
Tara Rinehart

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Nice personal logo! I like the 1930's deco esthetic of it. Or maybe it looks like something that you'd find carved into a tree. I'd lose the "Graphic Artist" text though. No need to be so descriptive in the logo. They're supposed to be visually descriptive, no need to spell it out.

As much as I like the relaxed tropical esthetic of your first design, I really prefer your second. Partially, it's the contrast and partially it's the layout. I've always been a bit of a sucker for really good contrast and this website uses it well. The layout also works really well. The multiple columns guide the eye through the content and feed it to the user easily. I really like the leaf pattern background. It looks like wallpaper from some fancy victorian hotel. It adds visual interest and texture to the design that pleases the eye and helps make the content stand out for easy consumption. Though if you want to add a bit of the tropical into the design maybe look for a palm leaf or fern texture for the background. The black and white glamor shot also adds a bit more classic feeling to the website. All in all, it feels a bit like a website from the 1910s would have looked, if we had websites back then.

My big suggestion would be to lose the white top bar. I think if you moved down the three columns in the pattern background a little bit, put a smaller version of your logo (reversed out in white) in the upper left corner, and run your navigation across the top in a single line, I think it would create a tighter composition that would still use the strengths of your second design while eliminating most of the weaknesses. Just a few more suggestions. One, left align the descriptive type in the left column. Two, narrow the image slightly and widen the text and link columns slightly to give the text a bit more left and right margin. Three, make your bottom text share the same baseline rather than being on different baselines. Four, soften the edges of your text boxes like you've done with your image.

I think you have one heck of a good start here. With a few more tweaks, it'll be a really cool looking design.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

nicolemae09

Post by nicolemae09 »

I enjoy your second design more. It shows a lot more sophistication then the second design for a professional personal page. I would work with your layout a little bit. All the white at the top of the page is kind of distracting. :)

-Ashley Anderson

anna_lyse

Post by anna_lyse »

I really like the idea behind the first rough more than the second one. Just something about the beach really catches my attention more than the black and white rough. I also really love your logo, and it pops off page more in the first rough more then the second rough.
Annalyse Klekar

sierra_style

Post by sierra_style »

I really like your second design looks very classy and easy to navigate. I do like the color scheme on the header of your first piece though with the different tints of tan. I think you could get a little better contrast on the body copy for legibility though.
Mark Sinnott

seancl123

Post by seancl123 »

I like the high contrast of the second one it looks really clean and very professional and the top half of the first one is really good the designs of both are very nice. what i did not like was that the first design has a line in the middle it spits up the design i think you should blind that line so its not so hard to get over the line and the type and the blue box on the first one are too bark you should lighten up the color of one. I really like them both and they both would look good to go with and to keep working on.
Sean Lee

Oreo_Chaos

Post by Oreo_Chaos »

I am definatly impressed with the 2nd layout, just tighten it up and it should be great!
Matt Beach =

Mulato, Esoteric, Hedonist

dzynecin88

Post by dzynecin88 »

I like your logo and the layout of your second design. I think the black and white works well, although you may want to throw in an accent color for just a bit more dimension. I like the way your background image works with your logo, too.
Cindy Salyer

Stalksyouatnight

Post by Stalksyouatnight »

The second one seems and feels better than the first, the first one is okay, but over all the second one is more pleasing to the eye. It looks professional, has a black and white contrast that is done very well. Your on your path, but maybe you can add more to the buttons?
“From this moment on you are a rock. You absorb nothing, you say nothing, and nothing breaks you.”-Frank Underwood.

My name is Zackary Hughes if you were wondering.

papasmurf124

Post by papasmurf124 »

I like the second one. Your hair flows into the background and the header area is clean.
Robert Freudenthaler