What I got so far

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
ravennvrmre

Re: What I got so far

Post by ravennvrmre »

I did mess around with deeper shades but they didn't look good at all. I also like the calming, relaxed feel the pale green gives. As for the images, some are bad scans (like the alien character design), some just so happen to be pale parts of a picture (like the water with the planet that says bring your imagination to life, that's a small part of the whole image), and some just aren't finished (the Legend of Zelda with Link, Zelda and Midna is probably only 20percent done and for the most part all I have is their skin, which is going to be pale).

As for the plan font, I just haven't gotten there yet, it wasn't my focus. I'll probably go with a more hand written looking font, like the one Annalyse (anna_lyse on the forum) used or Bradley Hand itc. I probably won't go for a supper swirly one, I personally find them frustrating to read.
Vicki Miller

japanese_panda

Post by japanese_panda »

I like second one.

animation is great, but you need to pay attention gif file is bigger than jpg and png files.

you can work with type font. all type looks has same fonts. composition has hierarchy! so type has hierarchy!
Yoshiki Katabami

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You and I have discussed your designs after class a couple of times, so most of this will be reiteration, but, for the classes benefit and for the record, here it is anyway.

Of the two, I like your second design better. As neat as I find a giant vertical slideshow on the left of the layout, vertical designs can be problematic in browsers. Because computer monitors are, by their nature horizontal, you can get critical data clipped off at the bottom of your design if you aren't careful. The second is horizontal while still having plenty of room for slideshows and composition. It also has more room to grow as your content increases. Plus the multiple columns help separate different parts of the website and make it easy to visually sort through the information presented.

I do like the corkboard texture on your first one, it adds a nice bit of visual interest and I think it should be brought over to your first (as you've done in your latest version of the second design). I also think a texture in the green area (like stucco or plaster) and some drop shadows behind your type, navigation, and slideshows will really help give it some depth. If you need inspiration, check out Alexis' second design in his post. THAT's how you use texture.

Your buttons need something to give them visual interest. First of all they need to be widened so that the longest word in your buttons has some margin. Size your buttons to the longest work or words and let the others all use that size. You've added quite a bit of visual interest on your latest version by making the buttons post-it notes and that's working pretty darn well.

Also, watch your margins throughout the document your text is straying awfully close to the edges of several text boxes in your composition. Narrow your type in those boxes to give it a little room to breathe.

Why don't you toss your new one that you showed me yesterday evening into the thread and see what the class thinks? I think it's a marked improvement over the version of your first design you have in the thread now.

Nice effort, Vicki. Keep it up.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Computer Lover

Post by Computer Lover »

The second one looks a lot better than the first, and the images you selected for it add better flow to your composition. I think the black is a little strong for the soft green, so perhaps choosing a more relatable color would make it visually appealing.
- Starla Houck

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I enjoy your second design more. I am having a problem with your centered body text though. Maybe choose one really strong image as your header instead of the gif? I like your layout though. It is generic and symmetrical. Maybe choose a piece of your artwork to accentuate the background or a simple texture? Keep up the good work.
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

nicolemae09

Post by nicolemae09 »

Your first site definitely shows your creativity a little more then the second. I really enjoy your layout and the work on the left side of the page. The only thing that i would personally work on is how big your font is. I have a hard time looking at your paragraph. I would say play with maybe a different font or font size.

anna_lyse

Post by anna_lyse »

I've seen you working on the second rough you posted and I love how that ones been coming along, especially with the button choices you've been making. I can't wait to really see the finished project! :D
Annalyse Klekar

sierra_style

Post by sierra_style »

I think I like the second layout a little bit more, they are both well organized though. I do like the cork board concept in the first one. Has a real world work feel. I wonder how it would look if you brought that into the second design where the buttons are or wherever you think would look good.
Mark Sinnott

seancl123

Post by seancl123 »

I really like the first design and layout its really good and it has a good feel and easy layout. and really both of them look good and have great color chooses. but the only think i would change would be the boards because i think the buttons should be up higher. over all i like the designs and cant wait to see more.
Sean Lee

Oreo_Chaos

Post by Oreo_Chaos »

The 2nd layout is a great way to advertise yourself as an artist. A few touch ups and it should be good to go
Matt Beach =

Mulato, Esoteric, Hedonist