Project 2 Preliminary Crit

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
sierra_style

Project 2 Preliminary Crit

Post by sierra_style »

Hello this is Mark Sinnott,

I chose to redesign http://robertsonrestoration.com
They do complete restoration and related services to buildings. They specialize in older historical buildings, but other buildings are still welcome.
I chose to try to neaten the site up using a grid. The text on all of the other pages on the original was double like a drop shadow but still in black and made it impossible to read. Let me know what you guys think. It's an older target crowd so I tried to keep legibility up and navigation on all the pages.
Attachments
Inside page version 2
Inside page version 2
Home page version 2
Home page version 2
Inside page version 1
Inside page version 1
Home page version 1
Home page version 1
Mark Sinnott

Blackfïsk

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Crit

Post by Blackfïsk »

Your ideas are looking better that the original site but I think they all look too drab and boring, don't make history boring! Those buildings kick ass, show them off!

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I agree with the above comment. The beauty of these buildings should really be displayed. Use the dynamic angles of some of the restorations in your design. You can even make one of those buildings an incredible background image to your site. I would work more on making this site really grab the viewers attention. Great start :)
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

j.alexis93

Post by j.alexis93 »

This is terrible Mark. I don't know what you were thinking...

I already talked to you about this during open lab. I really like the first one, it's simple and easy to navigate through. I also like the grid that you created with your pictures.
ALEXIS ROSALES

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

Holy shnikes, the drop shadows on the body copy on linked pages on original website made my eyes hurt it was so bad. I like the second concepts for both your home page and inside linked layout. I like the stone wall as the entire back of the webpage. I would sugest mixing up some different fonts rather than the same san serif across the whole pages.
-Warren Asher-

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I like your first design! It looks clean and simple as well as easy to navigate. I like the color choice too. Good work!
Natsuki Tonuma

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your first design better than your second. The second design just feels too blah. The brick texture is interfering with the type and the colors aren't working. The second, however, is working very nicely for you.

The second design uses alignment and margin really well. Everything just clicks together in it. It's a great example of using alignment to make lines and shapes where none exist. Nice work with matching baselines on your type with the end of shapes around it. I think the subtle paper texture adds a tiny bit of visual interest as well without compromising the design's clean Bauhausian style. The photo collage on the home page is working well for you. It shows what they do and work with without having to spell it out in so many words. The typefaces are well chosen throughout (I think they're all the same font) and compliment the design. They're easy to read and convey the information well, both outright and by their design and layout. The colors are working well also. They both work with and contrast each other nicely. The navigation is well placed and easy to follow as well.

The big thing your design needs though is photos, don't be afraid to go get some more from other sources to round out the website. It could really use some on the inner pages. These guys are historic building restorers and should be showing their work off more. Also, watch the top margin of your footer on your inner page, it's way too close to the horizontal red line.

Good work!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

I don't really have a preference, I would like to see the buildings they restore have greater pride of place. Show them off! The colors in the second design work better than the 1st, which feel really random.
Jena Molina

japanese_panda

Post by japanese_panda »

I think first one will work well!

I like your color scheme and composition!

You can work with hierarchy a little bit! it will help to make dynamic design!
Yoshiki Katabami

Computer Lover

Post by Computer Lover »

The second concept looks a lot cooler and the brick background is a nice touch to the website. I'm not sure if I like the blue div, but I'm not sure how to improve it. I would maybe get rid of the black bars surround the links and just use "bricks" for buttons, perhaps. I enjoy the font choice you selected, as its easy to read, and the layout of the website looks neat.
- Starla Houck