Project 2 Prelim Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
NevadaCowgirl

Project 2 Prelim Critique

Post by NevadaCowgirl »

Here are my two different roughs for prelim critique.

First set of roughs are with a black background.

The second set of roughs are with the colors from the logo.
Attachments
high_desert_leather.jpg
home_rough1.jpg
ordering_rough2.jpg
home_rough2.jpg
Amy Zimmerman

j.alexis93

Re: Project 2 Prelim Critique

Post by j.alexis93 »

They're both working pretty well. They seem like different variations instead of two completely different designs, but I really like the western feel that you have going. I would go with the first design, but I would make the body type lighter because its hard to read.
ALEXIS ROSALES

Blackfïsk

Post by Blackfïsk »

The second Idea on the homepage works really well. I'm not sure what happened with the second page, your banner no longer stretches the whole page and the text is like bleeding from the edge.

Also maybe make the banner a bit smaller and extend the brown across the page, and add something fun to look at in the information page instead of just a block of text.

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I like the top design better but your body copy font is too dark so it is hard to read. Once you sort out that contrast issue, it could turn into a good design. Keep up the good work :)
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

I like the first one and think the layout is working very well. You have some major contrast issues going on with your links and body copy. I would suggest making the links a lighter value against such a dark backround. It would also help to make your links a different font or color from everything else so that it is easier to distinguish between the 2.
-Warren Asher-

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I like how you created your logo and the texture of your header behind the text. As everyone suggests, I would go with the first one too and change the color of the body copy because its hard to read now.
Natsuki Tonuma

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I think the top design is working a bit better than the bottom one.

Your top design is dark, which means it will serve as a great background for any forthcoming images you want to place in there. I like the textured leather band across your top bar. The logo is very nice as well. It looks like a metal fitting with a nice flourish in the leather. The typography on your logo works very well too. A good contrast between sans-serif and serif type. The texture and lighting really serve to highlight the logo and draw the eye down to your content below.

A few things to help your design out. One, reduce the font size on everything by 25%. Two, choose a different font. Maybe look into a nice serif type like you have in your logo. Three, make your type a lighter color so we can read it. Four, you need to establish some sort of distance, both visually and design wise from your navigation. My suggestion would be a nice wide gutter between your navigation and your bodycopy. Five, lots and lots of photography. What really sells a business or product on a website is photos. People typically only skim text. You need to put in photos on this design to illustrate the leather products this place makes. Gather as many images as you can.

A good start!
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

I like the dark background of the first design, but you need to work on the contrast. Also, even though there is a photo gallery, I think there should be pictures showcasing their work at least on the home page. One of their best pieces to highlight their skills.
Jena Molina

japanese_panda

Post by japanese_panda »

I think top design will work better !

you should work contrast issue on body copy.
Yoshiki Katabami

Computer Lover

Post by Computer Lover »

While the two concepts are a tad similar in design, I find myself drawn to the second one more. Not only is it easier to read, but I like the clean-cut feel it has and the design makes it feel professional. My biggest recommendation would be to pick one main font and role with it. Its okay if the links differ, but its disorienting with two different types.
- Starla Houck