Project 2 Preliminary Critique

This is an archive subforum of the previous version of Project Three. This is for inspiration only. DO NOT POST YOUR PROJECT THREES HERE.
dzynecin88

Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post by dzynecin88 »

Hi Everyone -
Here are my roughs for Project 2. I found the content a bit difficult to work with and would still like to come up with something more professional looking. The subject is unusual and I thought that would be a good challenge since we'll be asked to do all kinds of sites when we're big time professional web designers, right? After I got into it, I regretted that I didn't pick a more typical subject. :D

Almost forgot to post the original website - https://heartfieldreimprinting.com/
Attachments
p2_rough1_homepage.tif
p2_rough1_2nd_page.tif
p2_rough2_homepage.tif
p2_rough2_2nd_page.tif
Cindy Salyer

rmiyashiro

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post by rmiyashiro »

You have a lot of interesting elements in your rough 1 homepage, but it's just too much for me. I definitely prefer rough 2. It still has all the interesting colors in your gradient and the logo, and it is easier to navigate.
Ryan 'Danger' Miyashiro

lornrocks

Post by lornrocks »

I feel like your first design is better than the first. It has a better vibe to it, it really gets across the idea of the business/practice and it is clean and easy to navigate. Like the colors, like the buttons, and it does a good job of keeping the aesthetic of the original site. Once you start actually putting the content in the second page, it will look pretty good. Make sure you don't have mountains of text that is hard to read. Maybe try having it separated with images like she has on the original site?

Either way, good job.

Also, is she like a hypnotist or something? I honestly couldn't tell by reading her website what she does.
Lauren Solinger

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I think your second design is the better of the two. Go with that one.

What really stands out to me on it is the colors. They're very soothing. I like the main purple and peach gradient. They compliment the many colors in the bird's nest heart logo and play off the colors in the images very well. Typographically, everything seems to work together decently well from what I can see. Your navigation bar is nice and clean and blends with the background without disappearing. I also like the big photo buttons on the home page to help guide users to wherever they might want to go. Good margins throughot the thing, too.

I'd have liked to see more of an inner page layout so I can't give you too much feedback there. Your bottom copyright notice and navigation vanishes. I'd make it purple like your header. I'd also probably make all the button image labels one line and see how that looked.

You've got yourself a good start here, Cindi. I'm curious to see how it turns out.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

kaycee_weddell

Post by kaycee_weddell »

I really like your first design. It seems to be more original to me with the shapes, movement and the colors used. I think that large image off to the side works great. I would maybe like to see the swirls be a little more saturated so they pop off of that background color. Good Job!!
Kaycee Weddell

ravens.way

Post by ravens.way »

Both designs are well done but your second one seems to suit the business more. It looks very clean and inviting.
Gwendolyn Jones-Gailey

gr8ful1

Post by gr8ful1 »

What an interesting subject. I love the picture in the background of your first design, but I think your second design works better. The images and text on the home page do a good job of explaining quickly what the program is about, and the photo of the creator and quote draw you in and want to learn more about her.
Kirsten Sorensen

raoki

Post by raoki »

The first one look very dark somehow, maybe it's not part of your design... So I like the second one more. The gradient of background is beautiful, but the typeface you used on the images should be changed because the space between letters is too wide and doesn't look professional.
How about any legible serif type because you used san-serif for the title?
Remi Aoki :D

ariaaearnest

Post by ariaaearnest »

Hello Cindy,

What an interesting website! I think I like your second website design better but the navigation bar jumps around the pages too much so I would keep it in one consistent place. I actually think your first design is interesting too, it kinda reminds me of those old school science textbooks you see in high school. On your homepage I would move the text off your pictures though, or change the font.

Aria
Aria Earnest

dazey_duck

Post by dazey_duck »

Hello, I like the colors and gradients that you used for the site and I thing your typography is working out well too. However it is unclear what this page is for or about, I feel as though nothing connect together.
Kaylyn Dazey
GRC Student at TMCC