Project 3 Prelim

Post links to your Project Four websites for discussion and feedback.
sierra_style

Re: Project 3 Prelim

Post by sierra_style »

The first idea is very cool. The torn paper has the perfect feel for the site. I think maybe just make the actual body copy/images section a little more exciting? Very good work though, that is an awesome concept.
Mark Sinnott

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I would choose the second one because the first one is similar to the current website. I like the font choice for the second one and how clean it is.
Natsuki Tonuma

nicolemae09

Post by nicolemae09 »

I like the first set with the ripped paper look, but i do enjoy the college feel with the varsity type text on the second. would it be to much to add to the first layout?

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

That torn paper design is great. A perfect example of using texture to make a clean, simple design have a lot of character. Plus the torn paper looks like mountains ...

It's interesting that aside form the torn paper, the first one is otherwise a very nice, bauhausian, grid style layout that's nicely proportioned, well margined (for the most part) and uses proximity and symmetrical balance to guide the eye around. I like the large image space at the top; perfect for an image slider to add that last little pice of visual interest. The accent images are also well placed and serve as a great visual reinforcement of the text. The navigation is large without being dominating, easy to find, and easy to use. Al necessary buttons and link are well highlighted throughout the design. Typographically it's quite well done, too. It's easy to tell the difference between headlines and bodycopy and everything is very legible and usable.

I like Leslie's suggestion of torn paper Sierra Nevada mountains. Since the top tear already kind of looks like them, I think it'd be and easy addition/easter egg. Watch your left margin on your bodycopy and the top margin on your header text and page headlines.

Excellent work. I look forward to seeing it as a "real" website.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I think both of your designs work but my favorite is the top design, I really like the page ripped out look. For the top design I would move down the tmcc logo to line up with the footer. Great start though.
Vicki Miller

Computer Lover

Post by Computer Lover »

The first concept is very appealing and well done. I think this may be the best one so far (in my opinion). I can't really find anything wrong with it except for the jaded edges of the body text which ruins that level of symmetry in the design. Maybe justifying it could solve that problem?
- Starla Houck

moserary

Post by moserary »

Love the torn paper, who hasn't had to use a shredded piece for a note? Brilliant concept to make it into the Sierras, rather than the cityscape in the first one. I also really like the images, very representative. The right-aligned type adds to the interest, nice work.