Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
wendy_boddy

Re: Project 2 Preliminary Critique

Post by wendy_boddy »

I think that you have a lot of information to sort just as i did and it might be good idea to put so much on one page. Your organization is great, but i think you can create a cleaner approach by not using such defined borders. Good job. I would love to see a little more negative space. I like the girl big at the top. i love anime and the drawings are so cool at least one should be big.

wendy

gotsatisfaction247

Post by gotsatisfaction247 »

I like the rought 2 option, I like the header. I would play with the fond options. Maybe use the fond from the buttons on the rought 1 in your rought two. I like the fond of you navigational buttons in rought 1) good start!

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Hey, Dalanie!

Your second layout has a much nicer flow and is more organized than your first, so I'd go with that. The colors aren't bad, it's kinda nice that the background color is more muted so the title color pops, I'm just not sure they work so well together, because one is kind of in the same family as the other. Maybe try a nice navy blue or the like for the background so you can keep the bright red if that's the true color of the logo? Also, I would stick with only two typefaces. While you've done that for most of the design, your logo at the bottom is different, and it feels distracting and throws me off a bit, and it took me a while looking at the page to even determine that there were only two typefaces used for most of it. I just don't think the type you've chosen works well together. The Optimus Prime-looking one is nice and elegant and works well for links in the nav, it's difficult to read when put in sentences due to the nature of the type being ALL CAPS. I'd suggest finding a different, easier-to-read typeface that has sentence caps for blocks of text like that. Also, I think it's unnecessary for you to have the parents link with an exclamation and the text "read this!" after it. Just seeing the type "parents" would signify for parents that they should probably read that, because that page is designated to communicate certain information to them. Hope this helps :)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Dalanie,

Your first roughs are the better of the two I think. One thing I would change though: I understand that the actual website has advertisements to make money, but I would definitely eliminate those for the purposes of this project. Ads in general really detract from the quality of any website. I think that the columns on the left and right side should be the same lengths and widths as well, and I think just one instance of the image by the logo would work better. These are a great place to start from though, so I look forward to the final critique!
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Hey Dalanie.

You're off to a good start with these, though I would suggest continuing with the second layout. It has a more dynamic feel and seems more organized than the first, and all the info is right there to look at with simple navigation. My suggestion is using different fonts for your type, it doesn't feel as though it fits in with the atmosphere of SNAFU Con.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

That's fun website :)
I think it's good start!
I like the design 2, but it is hard to read the body copy because of leading and font choice.
Other than that, good job!

Kiwako