project #2

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Instructor
Site Admin

Re: project #2

Post by Instructor »

Hm.

I say go with the first one. The second seems to "blah" and boring, while the sweeping bike tire track and centralized type work really well to draw you in.

The first design's home page in particular is very strong. I like the tire track, the central location of the logo, the quote, and the little bit of mystery it has. I even like the font used. I think it's a textbook example of an introduction homepage. It functions almost as a handshake, beckoning you to come inside and find out what this is all about, without being so mysterious as to turn off users. I think the logo plays a strong part in this as well.

Both pages use contrast very well. The white type works well against the blue background.

The navigation is large, simple, and easy to use. I also like the little marker that lets you know what page you're on.

The inner page is where it falls apart a bit for me. The bodycopy is too large and I'm not sure it needs to be the same italicised text as the quote on the home page. Also, the bicycle image seems just thrown in there in the middle. I recommend working with the curve of your tire track on the layout and maybe placing the image in better relation to it. Or, run the image as a bar that goes from one side of the screen to the other. Or, maybe even run the image as a bar that goes across underneath your bodycopy, if the bodycopy is short enough, or in multiple columns.

Good work though. You've got the makings of something quite neat here.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

gotsatisfaction247

Post by gotsatisfaction247 »

Great change, the origina site was one of the worst I seen lol...I like the rought4 , looks great, on the second page I might make the picture and the text alight together and have a outline of the box same as text to tighet better to the page, or u can just bloor the edges. Also great logo design!

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Elizabeth-

These are great starts to a better website for this company!
I do like the home page and logo design of the first design, but while the navigation suits it better to be on the bottom, I prefer it being on the top (I think that has to do with Western practices on reading from left-to-right and top-to-bottom?). But I do like how you used the image of the bikes to fill the background in the second layout. Perhaps you could combine the two?
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

ryansegal

Post by ryansegal »

Elizabeth,

I really like the large amount of color in these designs. I think I prefer the roughs with the tread mark backgrounds; it feels cleaner and more up-to-date than the other set. I think the navigation would work better at the top of the page rather than the bottom, because especially on larger pages, it would be very tedious to have to scroll to the bottom in order to navigate to another page. I'd move the text beneath the logo on the front page down a tad, but other than that I think they're a great start!
Ryan Segal
Radical Boy on a Mission

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Hey Elizabeth.

Both these layouts are off to a great start, and I can't say I really favor one over the other. The first layout has a more unique feel going for it, while the second one has better legibility to it. My suggestion is to play with values some more, because it becomes hard to distinguish some elements of the page from others and can start to strain the eyes, which is definitely not something you want. Great job on both of these.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

kiwakom

Post by kiwakom »

Great job!
I think first deign is better than second one. I love the logo and background design! That's amazing! It's looks really nice!
you can change the navigation bar a little bit because it's kind of hard to use it because of the position, so you can move it to the top of the page, I think.

Good job!

Kiwako