Preliminary project one

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Preliminary project one

Post by Instructor »

Hm, got some interesting ideas here. I prefer your first design over your second. Your second has a nouveau bluebook kind of look that fells pretty interesting, but I like the layout, color choices and execution of the first one a bit better.

The high contrast black on white background really pops the type at the top out. Congrats on finding a non-annoying use of script type as well. That contrast also helps offset and accentuate the colors of the navigation blocks. I like the use of proximity to gather everything up as well.

Right now the whole design is a bit bottom heavy though. I'd delete the gray bar and push everything up so it's vertically centered. Horizontally you're good. Also, move the words in the navigation blocks an arrow click or two.

Nice work! I'm looking forward to the finalized version.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

By gray bar, do you mean the text at the top of the page?
Jena Molina

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

punkassbookjockey wrote:By gray bar, do you mean the text at the top of the page?
Nah, I mean the bar above the text. Like so.
jena_gray_bar.jpg
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

That isn't actually in my design, and doesn't show up on my screen. Don't know where it came from?!
Jena Molina

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Ah.

Well, then your design is already vertically centered!

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I definitely like the first rough. Your colors are contrasting just enough with your background that it's not too overwhelming. I do have a hard time with the script italics on the diamonds because I find it hard to read, especially "sketchbook." Where is your image? I would like to see how you plan to incorporate your body copy and imagery.

Great start
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

anna_lyse

Post by anna_lyse »

The first design has a better feel to me, I like the design choice with the diamonds and the idea to have them rollover into a teaser picture. I also really like the feather you drew in Illustrator to be the contact button. For the second design idea, I like the thought of the page being in an art deco style, but to me the buttons get a little lost being the same color as the background. Overall I really like your first design idea.
Annalyse Klekar

nicolemae09

Post by nicolemae09 »

I feel that your first one has more potential. I like the thought of previews popping up within the squares. I would like to see a little more eye candy. Some graphic, illustration, or maybe just some of your work in the background would be great to see. :)

-Ashley Anderson

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I like the top design it’s simile but I like the overlap and the colors it “makes”. It’s a really nice color wheel without actually being one (I think you could still have the color wheel be a part of it even if you go with the teaser pictures, that would be really cool). I also like that it seems pretty interactive. However, you don’t have a paragraph about yourself (I know you have an about button but I don’t know if that technically counts). Really like the idea of the feather but I don’t know how obvious it will be that it’s a contact button. Great ideas though, keep it up.
Vicki Miller

sierra_style

Post by sierra_style »

I really like the first one in terms of drawing your attention in. I'm not sure if the font is the most legible you could have used. Cool Idea though, it would be cool if you made the headline/color scheme on the separate pages the colors of the boxes on the index page? Just a thought for later on.
Mark Sinnott