Project 1 Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Instructor
Site Admin

Re: Project 1 Prelim

Post by Instructor »

Ooooh Starla, you've got a couple of fun ones here. Each has a fun sense of whimsy that brings a smile to my face. Both are equally good, so have fun choosing.

The whale makes me giggle in your first on. I just smile looking at his face. The blue, yellow, and brown work together well to create a fun, warm, beach like atmosphere. Your navigation type compliments your design and the layout is easy to follow. My eye naturally moves through the composition.

Two improvements. Scoot the whale and navigation up a bit and shrink your navigation text so there's a little better margin on your nav buttons. Is your body copy going in the whale? If not, where?

Spilled ice cram body copy? Lol. :D More smile inducing whimsy. The pink and light maroon work well together. The navigation type looks like something out of a 50's diner, which helps reinforce your theme. The navigation is large and easy to follow. I like the hand sketched feeling of the ice cream. It looks like the margin drawing in a menu at a particularly fun diner.

Three suggestions. Take out the mint bar at the bottom, enlarge your square ice cream text box to give the text more margin, and loose the hyphenation in the paragraph.

Nice work! I'm curious to see which one you pick.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I would choose the first one because I could enjoy your illustration:) but I am wondering where do put your description. If you solve this problem, this design will be great!
Natsuki Tonuma

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

I think the first one works a lot better with the asymetrical balance. i don't think that the color schemes are working though. The tannish brown background doesn't work in my opinion
-Warren Asher-

nicolemae09

Post by nicolemae09 »

I really enjoy your cartoony look of your pages. I like the bright colors since a lot of people didn't go that direction. I enjoy your second theme a little more. I would try and work with all that empty space you have though. :)

-Ashley Anderson

sierra_style

Post by sierra_style »

I like both designs. Im leaning towards the second one more, especially because of the title/nav bar and the font you chose. It works so well up there and has visual interest. I think the color scheme is good too. I think if you add something else in the background of the cone layer it would make your eye move through the layout more. Great layouts though.
Mark Sinnott

nikkihillman

Post by nikkihillman »

These are great! I think I prefer the whale simply because the navigation is more appealing and the color scheme is nice! On the ice cream one, I think the navigation is a bit over-powering, but the concept is ...sweet. (:
Nikki Hillman

seancl123

Post by seancl123 »

I like the simplistic of the designs and layouts, the color works well too. I would try to add more interest in the design because its a little boring.
Sean Lee

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I like both; I really like the font in the bottom one. Both need your name though, and if you go with the bottom I would consider resizing your ice cream box it seems a little small and too much empty space. Great start, keep it up.
Vicki Miller

Game of Potters

Post by Game of Potters »

I like the ice cream styled website better. The font choice fits nicely, and the sketchy style of the illustration is cute. However, you do have a lot of empty space on either side of the body copy that feels like wasted space. You could easily fix this by adding a patterned background or making the body copy area slightly bigger. The bright side, there's plenty of room to add what you want!
Tara Rinehart

anna_lyse

Post by anna_lyse »

I honestly can't decide between either of your designs, I think you've really done an amazing job with both concepts. But looking over your designs I think the whale concept would work better for this project because TMCC has regulations about what colors can be used for their logo. The colors would match perfectly with the whale concept.
Annalyse Klekar