Project 1, First Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
chaytothet

Project 1, First Critique

Post by chaytothet »

Hey guys :mrgreen:

I used InDesign as my weapon of choice, but I plan on recreating and incorporating your responses into a photoshop file so have at it!

The first is a bit different from my usual style. Honestly, I had a glass of wine and I was admiring the values beside my bright blue plates dinner was on. Hello, Contrast! I liked the abstract shapes of the font I chose for the headlines and where my links will go.

I had some fun with these two, the second is a lighter design that I feel reflects what person I'd like to be all the time, cheery and light hearted. Stress and 3 graphics classes dim it a bit, but all in all life is pretty good :mrgreen:

I really enjoyed looking through Dribble.com and googling website layouts, but the top sites were Dribble.com and justfreetemplates.com, give you a variety of finished products to look at and pick aspects you like, mix until smooth, bake for 20-30 minutes in brain and WAH LA! Prettyness.

For tutorials/info I like http://www.dontfeartheinternet.com and Khan Academy is going to be my go to, they always have quality tutorial videos: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/c ... g/html-css. Not sure exactly what we will be using, but these will be my reference points! You know, along with that tall guy that stands up front every class...

:mrgreen:

Please let me know what you think!
Attachments
project1_firstcritique_01.jpg
project1_firstcritique_02.jpg
-Chalyn

Just because my path is different doesn't mean I'm lost
-Gerard Abrams

selvster5000

Re: Project 1, First Critique

Post by selvster5000 »

There will be no further wine drinking unless I'm involved. Do we have an understanding?

But for really doe....

I tend to lean more towards your second design. I feel as though it is a great representation of your design work, which is bubbly and bright! Your color scheme works well in the second one too! I do like your top design, if you decide on this one I might use the colors from your bottom design?? Or choose a darker green and a darker purple??

Overall "I like a da way your website looks man". (Jamaican voice)

See you in T-minus 3 hours...
Cheers,
Hannah Selvey

susielang

Post by susielang »

Hi,

I really like the second design- your color scheme is great. Everything is spaced out very nicely. Also your photo is nice and welcoming. The typeface you choose fits very well.
Susie Lang

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I like your style, Chalyn.

I really like your second one it uses color and contrast very well. The light colors serve as a pale background for your black type to stand out against. But you kept it nice and soft by choosing a light typeface. Nice job establishing hierarchy using only type size. Each color does a good job establishing an informational area too. They are well chosen and play off each other nicely. The font is also very easy to read. I like how the starburst flowers eclipse multiple informational areas as well. That really ties the whole composition together without ruining the simple, clean layout. Great margins throughout the thing as well.

I don't know that you need to center the text in your top, pink bar. Maybe right align it and see how that looks. I'd also recommend enlarging your navigation just a bit, right now it's a little small and gets lost..

Nice job.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

Pearl_Underwood

Post by Pearl_Underwood »

Hi Chalyn,

I always enjoy your work! I think the second is by far my favorite! I like the simplicity, and the cheery vibe I get. Simple, yet elegant. :)
~Pearl Underwood~

Ltrueworthy

Post by Ltrueworthy »

I think the second one is my favorite. I like how you use white to make cut outs in the color blocks. I was thinking what if the colors were a little bit darker or had a little bit more contrast between them. Besides that I really like the layout and set-up for the second page.
Lea Trueworthy

Ariesboxsye

Post by Ariesboxsye »

Choice number two in my opinion is more friendly in color scheme and setup. The light colors and flower like designs through the shapes give a positive response I feel. However, for each major shape, the rectangle and projects and such, I would recommend possible adding more shapes for each project or at least increasing the sizes of the project 2 and 3 to make them feel just as important.
~Names Aries Shelley~

CarnutianDragon

Post by CarnutianDragon »

Hi Chalyn,

I really like your first design. The contrast between the sharp greens and light purple, combined with the deep teals stand out nicely! The way you played around with shape and text is really eye catching too. That being said, I think it'd work to your benefit if you made your name a little easier to read. It's very nice visually, but it's a bit difficult to focus on what it's saying.

Great job and I can't wait to see the finished product! :D
Sarah Alvarado

Kyler_Rose

Post by Kyler_Rose »

Over View:
Your Website have a nice simple and easy feel to them, and overall works with both designs, but template seems to be alittle to busy and to much things going on at once. Between the two, I would say that Template 2 Is better.

Template 1:
The Colors are very nice and work well with the dark background. But The Font for the Text is extremely hard to read For the headlines and the body copy. So I would look around and find a better font, especially for the body copy so it becomes easier to read.

Template 2:
The Colors and font all work well together, I dont really have anything suggetions on how to improve this one from here.
Kyler Rose

erika.murray

Post by erika.murray »

Great work as always, Chalyn!
I love your second website, it implements a great use of white space. One thing you could do is add a bold version of the typeface you are using to create contrast.
The first design isn't bad, but it is really blocky and reminds me of MS Paint in some ways. I do like how you stylized your name, it reminds me of a circuit board (which could be really cool if you added that type of artwork to the layout). Overall it feels too blocky.
Fate, my friend, you say the strangest things

Erika Murray