Project 1 - roughs

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
rrodriguez

Project 1 - roughs

Post by rrodriguez »

Rough 1: My composition and thought process designing this first rough is picking a photo that’s dynamic and intriguing. I mixed colors one would never think of mixing together (purple, green, brown, tan) and making it blend together well. The picture, I wanted to come at an align to give it movement.

Rough 2: This composition I wanted the image to over take the entire website and still design a workable and well designed navigation layout. I let the photo give the feel of the site and used pastel colors to make the type readable.

This website is about hair and all the different styles. It is designed very clean and understandable navigation. I don’t know if flash was involved with some of the fade in’s and out’s, I’m thinking so… http://demonstration.themesbro.com/hair ... e/preview/

This guys portfolio is really awesome. The navigation is easy to follow and the artwork is really good. Everything has a purpose and place, you know where you are at during entire visit of website. http://www.thinkluke.com/
Attachments
project1_rough1.jpg
project1_rough2.jpg
"Something profound and awesome here and here and here..."– Rosa Rodriguez

Sierragirlnv

Re: Project 1 - roughs

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Rosa,
I have to ask what is that an image of in your first rough? I like the slanted image going through with the body text slanting around it like that. I also like how you put your name in code what an excellent idea.
The second rough seems less personalized and as much as I like the image I think the first one has a high tech vibe with a modern twist to it. The only thing I would change is in the nav bar the type size and the numbers seems to be two different sizes, they probably aren't but it looks that way to me.
good job.

Sierragirlnv

paula_b

Post by paula_b »

Hi Rosa!
I have to say that rough 1 is my favorite. I have no idea what the image is but everything in this design works really well together! This rough would definitely be my choice! Rough 2 is nice but the image over-powers everything else in my eyes. Good job!
PaulaBurris

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Rosa-

These are some great roughs! I love the images you chose, and the colors (especially in the first) are simply lovely! I'm wondering though, if you could consider changing your type choices? They seem to lack in the elegance that's portrayed in the images, and you want to do them justice! Also, I like the layout of the second rough, but the image of the first. Perhaps there's a way you can combine the two?
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hi, Rosa

I like the way you blended the colors in rough one; it looks really nice and gives the image an antique feeling.
I would make the body text's font larger, if I had to change one thing.

I think the photo in the second rough is too busy, so I would use the first one.
Dominique Boudinot

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Wow. These are some top flight roughs.

You could go with either one and do just fine for your website. I personally prefer the second one. The diagonal image on the first one makes my head spin a bit and I'm not sure why you're closing your name at the top.

The second one just has so much going for it. I think the strongest part of it is the subtle, but unmistakeable contrast created by the semi-transparent top and bottom bars. Your font choice is excellent. It's easy to read and the text is placed for easy eye movement. I like the non-traditional placement of the navigation and course information. The whole thing is excellently balanced, both horizontally and vertically.

Just a couple of nitpicks on it. I think it'd look a touch better to remove the black box behind the TMCC logo and I'm not sold on the need for a different font for your email.

Impressive! A fantastic start.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

wendy_boddy

Post by wendy_boddy »

Rosa!

Both are great rough layouts! I prefer the second one because there is no border. I like how you used diagonal lines in both designs.

Wendy

lingling_chen

Post by lingling_chen »

Hi,Rosa

I don't have enough time to read the detail, but your rough 1 caught my eyes within a few seconds.
Nice job, Rosa.

Lingling

Miasera

Post by Miasera »

Hey Rosa,

I'm really liking both of your roughs, and I think you could build on either one of them. In regards to the first one, I am enjoying the soft look to it while still presenting a range of colors that perfectly match your header. I'd recommend finding a way to better incorporate the TMCC logo and your bodycopy, since they seem to be almost floating there in comparison to how together the rest of the layout is. Perhaps try dealing with various fonts and leading.

The same can almost be applied to the second layout—the bodycopy tends to be more lost against the background pic, and the font of your title name seems kind of flat compared to the rest of the layout. Really, I encourage you to go with either one of these and carry on with it.
Cristina Sánchez
|| Certified Turtlefied

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Rosa,
Wow great job on both of your roughs! I really like rough #1 because the image is intriguing like you said & I love the mixed colors on your background I think it is inviting and unique. I agree with Michael on the TMCC logo I think it would blend well if it was just white with no black background. I would consider making your body and class info. type a little bigger and maybe add your email address to the bottom middle of the page. I think it is a good idea to show off knowledge about coding by putting your name like this but I think it is a little distracting. I think if you add your title to your name it would get that point across more. Last, I like how your nav is but the two nav buttons on the end seem uneven from the rest...I would maybe consider centering them more or making those the size of the others.
Danielle Record