Roughs for Project 1 Prelim

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
georgia_novotny

Roughs for Project 1 Prelim

Post by georgia_novotny »

Rough 1: This website layout design is more simplistic than my second rough in my opinion. Even though I don't really do simple I think this is it for me. I focused on using large photos that I have taken of different landscapes. I use them as my subjects in my art and design.

Rough 2: This website design is more detailed and not so simplistic in its composition. I used my photos again but have them scattered in a design rather than laid out in a simplistic order. I wanted to use lots of photos rather than 1 large one but think 1 large photo might be a nice 3rd design.

The 2 inspirational links that I used to get info and ideas from for my web design were the following:
1. http://www.thebestdesigns.com
I typed in "best Website Designs and that was one of the first ones that came up. I thought it was very interesting to see all the "top" web designs. I think I will go back to this site again for more inspiration over and over again.

2. http://www.Aol.com
I liked looking at one of the "Dinosaurs of the Industry" which sounds cheesy but they have been around since the world wide web started and it was first available to the public. http://www.Aol.com I thought that it was very inspirational since that is a website business that has been around forever. It hasn't failed and is still up and running.

I look forward to hearing positive feed back and constructive criticism. Thank you
Georgia
Attachments
Rough 2
Rough 2
Rough 1
Rough 1

paula_b

Re: Roughs for Project 1 Prelim

Post by paula_b »

Hi Georgia!
I like the second rough the best. The first rough has too many images that overpower your body text. The second rough creates a little more elegance. I think the font choice is taking away from the overall design. I think a different font will make a huge difference in the total look.
PaulaBurris

aslychsm

Post by aslychsm »

Hi Georgia!

First, I believe these are both really good places to start off. The designs are basic, but also have a lot of potential as preliminary pieces. With that being said, I'm more fond of the top layout, mostly because the bottom one seems too centered and generic. I like the "collage" feel of the first one, and also how things are asymmetric. If I could make some suggestions, I believe all the images would look better together if they had borders to differentiate them a bit more. Perhaps work on the sizing of the pictures too, as it does feel a little crowded. But those things aside, good work, and those are some super beautiful photos!
a s h l e y c h i s a m

justinepaigek

Post by justinepaigek »

Georgia-

Great start! I do think the design of the second layout will serve better for users in terms of how everything is laid out :) I would probably consider a different color, however, for your type because while it's fun, it's a little difficult to read being the same color as the borders. Perhaps go with the same hue but lighter for your links and the description? Hope this helps :)
"I believe if you look hard, there are more wonders in this universe than you could ever have dreamed of."

Van Gogh said this. Not the real one, probably, just the one in that episode of Doctor Who.

ElizabethBrass

Post by ElizabethBrass »

Hi Georgia,

I think the second one is working better as far as the layout goes. The first is too busy and cluttered. for the second one I would try a lighter tint of that blue for the type, for the body copy at least. It is hard to read on the black background. Also try making the buttons a little bigger. Great start!
Elizabeth_Brass

recordd

Post by recordd »

Hi Georgia,

I really like how your layouts turned out in both of your designs. I love all of your beautiful photos! You definitely have a gift. I think I like rough #2 more than rough #1 because I love how all of your photos look like they are arranged in a collage, which creates a unique and appealing feel to it. A couple things that I would recommend for rough #2 are: I would suggest to leave your name & title the same but maybe justify it left and add one of your sunset photos in the top right corner. I would consider changing the font for the body and/or a different color so your about me info. pops out! Maybe place it as floating in the images to the right. I hope this helps and Great job! :)
Danielle Record

mlauc

Post by mlauc »

Hi Georgia,

Your photos are quite good! I like the second version the best. The viewer is overwhelmed with all of the photos in the first comp. Sometimes, less is more.

Matthew
Matthew

dboudinot

Post by dboudinot »

Hello Georgia,

I agree with the consensus that the first rough is to busy. I like the second layout more; it is very balanced. I would adjust the value of the text so that there is more contrast between it and the background. That will help your content pop off the page.
Dominique Boudinot

Sierragirlnv

Post by Sierragirlnv »

Hi Georgia,

I like your project one roughs, however I am leaning towards the second layout. I think less images do more for your design. I also think if you measured out your photos and your images to perfectly align them with the hierarchy you already have they would really stand out a great deal better. Hope you are having as much fun with this project as I am.

Sierragirlnv

TsukimizuDC

Post by TsukimizuDC »

Georgia,

Love the way your roughs turned out. The second layout is what I'm leaning to because of the less photos that is occurring in the first layout. Also, for some reason the color of the icons and type is a little distracting for me. If you can change the color of the icons or the background that make your website stand out more.

Great job.
Dalanie "Tsukimizu" Chester
Cosplayer/Artist/Daydreamer