Project One Preliminary Critique

Post links to your Project One websites for discussion and feedback.
Stalksyouatnight

Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by Stalksyouatnight »

Sites I found inspiring:

http://www.newgrounds.com/
http://www.furaffinity.net/

I found newgrounds inspiring because of how open its navigation system is, everything is only a few clicks away.
I found furaffinity inspiring because of the structure of the profile pages, simple and easy, but never pointless.

I tried two different styles that are kind of similar I'm only worried that I may need to increase the pages sizes.
project1_draft1_zah.png
project1_draft2_zah.png
“From this moment on you are a rock. You absorb nothing, you say nothing, and nothing breaks you.”-Frank Underwood.

My name is Zackary Hughes if you were wondering.

j.alexis93

Re: Project One Preliminary Critique

Post by j.alexis93 »

The first one feels more like a website to me. I prefer the blue color scheme, but that's just a personal choice.
ALEXIS ROSALES

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I prefer the first one for the easiness to find navigation. I would suggest that the box for each navigation links should be stretched a little more horizontally to give more space. The letter size of "resources" and other links should be more balanced.
Natsuki Tonuma

lsimgrc175

Post by lsimgrc175 »

Whatever you do, keep that GameBoy font from the first one!
-End message

NevadaCowgirl

Post by NevadaCowgirl »

I like the font in the first rough. I do like the color and the images of the second rough. Maybe you could incorporate the two design for your website.
Amy Zimmerman

ravennvrmre

Post by ravennvrmre »

I like both your layouts but I wouldn’t use either of those colors. If you go with the top, I would put the about me in with your text but have it the same size as it is now. If you go with the bottom, I would put the “Hi I’m Zack!”, above the navigation. I really like the type you went with though for the top one.
Vicki Miller

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

I think the first one works better as the concept of avideo game. Great font choice since that was what you were going for. A suggestion I might make would be your links into actual video games from certain game controlers. Since the website reminds me of nintendo I would recommend a nintendo controller.
-Warren Asher-

moserary

Post by moserary »

The layout of the first one catches my interest much more quickly. Something in the back of my mind came forward when the color scheme and font were commented on...maybe it's because I'm old and have been trained with gender-biased color choice, but the pink hues somehow don't mesh with a website for someone named Zack..? Even the blue tones are youngish, perhaps you could experiment with something more natural and a bit darker..?

The fact that the font is reminiscent of a GameBoy (something I protested highly in the 90's as a parent, therefore don't recognize) seems to appeal to those who do recognize it. That's probably a good thing!

japanese_panda

Post by japanese_panda »

I like rough 2.

I like the composition, but you can work with color scheme.

you used only one type face, so you can pick more type face as hierarchy follows.
Yoshiki Katabami

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I understand what visual aspect you are going for. I tend to lean towards the first rough but I think you should work on your margins and spacing to create more consistency within your design. Also, instead of having a full website that is bright pink, maybe try playing with that colors compliment to create some contrast. If you like the video game feel, maybe take it farther but making your website look like you are inside a video game. Custom illustrations would show off your talent and get the look I think you are aiming towards. Keep pushing forward and I'm sure you will end up with a great site.
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe