Preliminary Critique for Project#2

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
japanese_panda

Preliminary Critique for Project#2

Post by japanese_panda »

this is the web site which you can order leather tsuba.
tsuba is used to protect hand from japanese sward each other.

it is put between sward and grip. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_sword_mountings

my friend is making custom tsuba by hand. I helped him to translate english to japanese. That is why I found this site!
Attachments
rough1_2_tsuba.jpg
rough1_2_inside_tsuba.jpg
rough1_1_tsuba.jpg
rough1_1_inside_tsuba.jpg
Yoshiki Katabami

natsukigrc175

Re: Preliminary Critique for Project#2

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I like your type choice for the navigation. You have a nice high-resolution picture and I actually like how you find this web.
I would just change the font family of the title of your body text. May wanna try italic or so.
Natsuki Tonuma

Blackfïsk

Post by Blackfïsk »

UGHH! I love that huge-ass japanese text, It's the shit, I would like to see something happening with the background other than black, maybe a bigger photo across the top cropped and then a very soft gradient? I'm not sure really.

OOOOORRRR >.> <.< You could go old school Chinese/Japanese cinema style and do like a grindhouse/Kill Bill kind of thing... like bruce lee... UGH!!! So awesome!

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I like your top design the best. There are some contrast issues between the links and the background image so maybe lighten them up or something so that they are easier to read? Good start
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

I like the layout and design of the bottom one, and the picture really works well. I would suggest messing with the body copy a little more to make it more enjoyable to read. Maybe columns?
-Warren Asher-

j.alexis93

Post by j.alexis93 »

I like how you have the picture as the background for the first one. There's just some contrast issues with the navigation bar. Maybe try putting them in a box like you did with the body type.
ALEXIS ROSALES

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

You know, I'm usually helpless before the power of a well done high-contrast website, but in this case, I really prefer the first design. I think it's the full page background image that does it for me. Go with your first one.

As mentioned, that background image is really strong. It shows off a bunch of tsubas and visually communicates what the website is about. The massive kanji on the left also establish atmosphere immediately. I also really like the font choice for the navigation. Maybe use it as the headline type in the content? The navigation is very easy to use due to it's massiveness. If you have problems navigating this thing, then that's a you problem and not this website's fault. One of the really nice little touches to this design is the button that sticks out to let you know what page you are on. Subtle, but effective. The content is well laid out and generally easy to read. Nice use of edge margins on your text box also.

A couple of things would really complete this design, I think. One, shrink the size of your navigation slightly and add a bit more spacing between the buttons so they have some room to breathe. Two add a bit of spacing between each of your justified paragraphs. When paragraphs are justified it makes it difficult to tell where on ends and another begins. Lastly, play with the opacity of your type container and see how transparent you can make it and still see the type.

Otherwise, excellent work. I want to see what this thing looks like running in a browser.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

lsimgrc175

Post by lsimgrc175 »

The second one is a lot easier to read, plus the black & white pushes the calligraphy a lot more I think.
-End message

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

I like the colors and layout of the first oneone, but the second one has the better picture... You should put them together!
Jena Molina

Computer Lover

Post by Computer Lover »

I find the first one to be more visually appealing. The second one is too plain with all the black space, but the first has a good composition going. I like the main image surrounding the background, but the navigation could be played around with.
- Starla Houck