Project 2 Prelim

Post links to your Project Three websites for discussion and feedback.
Computer Lover

Project 2 Prelim

Post by Computer Lover »

The first concept is a more traditional looking website. Too keep it from looking too blocky, I decided to round the corners. Yellow in the pervious website proved to be a harsh background color so I avoided it all together and used it for shadowing instead. I kept white div boxes to make it easier to read and left out some hierarchy for simplicity. The main box below the picture is meant to scroll.

The second concept is more modern and I incorporated more of the company colors than the first one. I darkened the shade of yellow to something more mellow for the navigation bar and used black for high contrast to make it easy to read. The body box is a darker blue and is contrasted with white font for readability. This concept has hierarchy which can clearly be seen throughout the page. The images have a mild drop shadow so it doesn't appear too flat.
Attachments
Original Website Top
Original Website Top
Original Website Mid
Original Website Mid
First Concept Main
First Concept Main
First Concept Inner
First Concept Inner
Second Concept Main
Second Concept Main
Second Concept Inner
Second Concept Inner
- Starla Houck

Blackfïsk

Re: Project 2 Prelim

Post by Blackfïsk »

Your second design is starting to look like a phonebook page, the first one would work better with some tweaking, imo.

daveryjones

Post by daveryjones »

I think both of these designs need some work. If I had to choose one, I would go with the first design. Work on your content organization on the white boxes. Make sure some part of your design is going to grab a viewer's attention.
Kind Regards,
Dallas Avery Jones
wooster.avery@gmail.com | (775)338-7346

]“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.” - Edgar Allan Poe

j.alexis93

Post by j.alexis93 »

All of your designs seem pretty basic. They need to be more exciting. I think you should start by implying a grid instead of simply drawing one out. Your colors are complementing each other really well, but they're a little too bright for my taste.
ALEXIS ROSALES

warren.asher@gmail.com

Post by warren.asher@gmail.com »

I think the layout of the second one works the best. I think it could just be jazzed up a bit more with some styles, and color. I don't think the yellow/blue color scheme you have going is working. I would play around with some bolder or serif fonts to separate your links, body copy, text headlines. Great start
-Warren Asher-

natsukigrc175

Post by natsukigrc175 »

I would go with the first design and make it looks like more interesting. Your deign is very clean and easy to navigate so far but I would like to see more impact. Good luck on your work!
Natsuki Tonuma

lsimgrc175

Post by lsimgrc175 »

I like the first concept, because of the pill shapes. The second one looks a little too much like first years of the internet to me.
-End message

Instructor
Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I'd say your second design is the better place to start.

I like it's three column layout. It reminds me a bit of a tri-fold brochure and it can make for quite decent websites. You have a large photo area to the right that you could swap a different photo into for each page. Nice placement of the contact info. The top right is one of the areas the eye goes to first so users will easily be able to contact the business. The type you've selected works well even if the paragraph formatting is a bit wonky. I like the store photographs in the center column.

What it really needs is a good decluttering. It's way too complex and my eye bounces all over the place in it. Strip all of the hard returns out of your bodycopy so it clusters into proper paragraphs. Remove a few of the buttons in the navigation (mobile and browser website links, really?). Enlarge the photographs in the second column or add more to it. Once you've done all those, take a look at adding in some textures or patterns to the background to add some visual interest.

It's a good start! Keep building on it.
"Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just show up and get to work." — Chuck Close

Michael Ganschow-Green - GRC 175 Instructor
mganschow@tmcc.edu | 673-8200 ext.5-2173

punkassbookjockey

Post by punkassbookjockey »

Both of your options are good, but I like the 2nd one. I don't care for the particular yellow and blue you've chosen, though the yellow is kinder on the eyes than the original. Consider a complete color change. I like the store front on the home page, but it would be nice to see something different on inside pages. That would create more visual interest.
Jena Molina

japanese_panda

Post by japanese_panda »

I like second one!

but you should pick complementary color for blue or yellow! these two color looks fighting each other.

you have hierarchy issue. you should make something impact image or font!
Yoshiki Katabami